Q1 Ultra Preview

Talk about the Samsung UMPCs here.
Aussie

Postby Aussie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:34

MathProfJohnson wrote:I pulled thetrigger and bought one. The screen is beautiful!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear. I hope you're not trying to tell us you have no aesthetic sense?
:eek:

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 18:37

MathProfJohnson wrote:I pulled thetrigger and bought one. The screen is beautiful!

Pictures!

Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

MathProfJohnson

Samsung Q1U in 'da house :D

Postby MathProfJohnson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 05:07

hazmat wrote:Pray tell...where will you put it ? And do you really need 2 UMPCs ?

(That's the financial advisor coming out of me, I routinely scold my clients for giving in to their "I want it now" urges instead of funding things like retirement or their kid's college education).

Have fun with it. Why don't you at least start a hardware eval blog and maybe you can get some advertisers to subsidize your "habit".

Or maybe a site called "The New Math with Perfesser (sic) Johnson". You know "if Johnny has 2 apples and he eats 3, how many extra days does he have to work to pay the big bad apple purveyor ?"

Yea, I know I am bad. I had to laugh at you when you said "do you really need 2 UMPCs", have you looked at my signature?

I have spent the last few days working with the Q1u to get it running for peak performance/battery life. Very similar to all of our tweaking postings, I read others' suggestions on the web and tried to get the performance better. The first Q1 left a bitter taste in my mouth since I barely used it for poor battery life and slow performance. My first impressions of this one, silly keyboard aside, are MUCH better and I think this is going to be my new purse computer.

Main things I did:
1) Formatted the drive and installed a fresh copy of Vista. It was RIDICULOUS how much faster the system was. Mike Cane posted this review http://mikecane.wordpress.com/2007/05/08/samsung-q1u-fondle/ and I have to agree, the time to load the Control Panel before my reinstall was absurd.
2) Reloaded only the graphics, ubs camera, play camera, easy display, easy button, oragami experience, menu, touch screen calibration, and the user's guide.
3) I am using ONeCare Live instead of McAfee previously loaded.
4) I disabled DWM in VIsta

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my UX and it is really good for most of my work outside the home office, but I want to see if I am any more productive with the 1lb 7 inch screen than I am with the UX or p1610. There are some things I like on the Samsung more than the UX. Where I think Sony dropped the ball placing the charging connection and headphone jacks on the BOTTOM of the unit so that it is difficult to prop the UX on the stand to watch a movie or listen to music, Samsung has these on the side and the built-in stand. Not a big deal, but I don't have to worry about bending the connections or making them loose.
I haven't held the Q1U for an extended period of time yet, but it seems good. Where I find it difficult to lay the UX on a desk to grade (my wrist is at an angle because of the thickness of the UX) the Samsung is much flatter which I find easier to write on. The Q1U has a 60 GB hard drive compared to the 40 on my UX. The standard battery for the Q1U appears to be SUBSTANTIALLY better than the old Q1 and on par or slightly better than the UX (I do NOT have concrete data to back this up yet).

AGAIN I am not bashing my most beloved machine (the UX in case there was doubt) I just think I could use the Q1U in a different way.

To address your question of evals, I personally don't think I am knowledgable to write them. I don't do benchmark tests, I don't really know enough about the innerworkings of the operating system to mess around with too much. I have tried SEVERAL times to keep my own blog going, but it is just too time-consuming.

Fujitsu u810 w/Vista, AT&T 3G :D
OQO 02 better w/Vista, Verizon EVDO A :eek:
Acer Aspire One XP Light, AT&T 3G
HP TC1100 (w/Vista)
Samsung Q1-U (w/Vista) :rolleyes: For sale
Sony UX280P (w/Vista)- Core Solo U1400, 1.2 GHZ, 1GB Ram, 40 GD HDD :o For sale

MathProfJohnson

Postby MathProfJohnson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 05:12

Aussie wrote:Oh, I'm sorry to hear. I hope you're not trying to tell us you have no aesthetic sense?
:eek:

I was talking in comparison to the old Q1. The screen on my original Q1 has always appeared washed out and this one is more on par with the UX. Even on the lowest setting, the readability is great.

In order of preference

Fujitsu u810 w/Vista, AT&T 3G :D

OQO 02 better w/Vista, Verizon EVDO A :eek:

Acer Aspire One XP Light, AT&T 3G

HP TC1100 (w/Vista)

Samsung Q1-U (w/Vista) :rolleyes: For sale

Sony UX280P (w/Vista)- Core Solo U1400, 1.2 GHZ, 1GB Ram, 40 GD HDD :o For sale

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 05:59

You must have a giant purse if you can fit that thing in there...
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog

Personal Blog

Editor for:

UltrabookNews.com

Carrypad.com

UMPCPortal.com

dhayden

Postby dhayden » Fri Apr 04, 2008 23:48

MathProfJohnson wrote:Yea, I know I am bad. I had to laugh at you when you said "do you really need 2 UMPCs", have you looked at my signature?

I have spent the last few days working with the Q1u to get it running for peak performance/battery life. Very similar to all of our tweaking postings, I read others' suggestions on the web and tried to get the performance better. The first Q1 left a bitter taste in my mouth since I barely used it for poor battery life and slow performance. My first impressions of this one, silly keyboard aside, are MUCH better and I think this is going to be my new purse computer.

Main things I did:
1) Formatted the drive and installed a fresh copy of Vista. It was RIDICULOUS how much faster the system was. Mike Cane posted this review http://mikecane.wordpress.com/2007/05/08/samsung-q1u-fondle/ and I have to agree, the time to load the Control Panel before my reinstall was absurd.
2) Reloaded only the graphics, ubs camera, play camera, easy display, easy button, oragami experience, menu, touch screen calibration, and the user's guide.
3) I am using ONeCare Live instead of McAfee previously loaded.
4) I disabled DWM in VIsta

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my UX and it is really good for most of my work outside the home office, but I want to see if I am any more productive with the 1lb 7 inch screen than I am with the UX or p1610. There are some things I like on the Samsung more than the UX. Where I think Sony dropped the ball placing the charging connection and headphone jacks on the BOTTOM of the unit so that it is difficult to prop the UX on the stand to watch a movie or listen to music, Samsung has these on the side and the built-in stand. Not a big deal, but I don't have to worry about bending the connections or making them loose.
I haven't held the Q1U for an extended period of time yet, but it seems good. Where I find it difficult to lay the UX on a desk to grade (my wrist is at an angle because of the thickness of the UX) the Samsung is much flatter which I find easier to write on. The Q1U has a 60 GB hard drive compared to the 40 on my UX. The standard battery for the Q1U appears to be SUBSTANTIALLY better than the old Q1 and on par or slightly better than the UX (I do NOT have concrete data to back this up yet).

AGAIN I am not bashing my most beloved machine (the UX in case there was doubt) I just think I could use the Q1U in a different way.

To address your question of evals, I personally don't think I am knowledgable to write them. I don't do benchmark tests, I don't really know enough about the innerworkings of the operating system to mess around with too much. I have tried SEVERAL times to keep my own blog going, but it is just too time-consuming.

I was wondering if you are still using the VIAo or the Samsung? I am thinking about buying once too! 7 "screen.

anotherthing

Postby anotherthing » Sat Jun 14, 2008 17:48

I bought a Q1 Ultra Premium XP model after I got sick of replacing batteries on the UX. I really like the Q1. Here's my rundown for the Q1 UP:

Pros:
Outstanding battery life - Way better than the UX with the extended batteries.
Bigger screen - You don't have to hold the Q1 up to your face to read it. Makes for better tablet too.
2 USB Ports - Less need to pack along a hub.
Upgrdable RAM - I haven't done it, but there's videos on uprading it to 2GB.
More storage - 80GB of storage standard.
Built in VGA Port - No packing the dongle.
Built in stand - Just fold it out the back and set the unit down.
Price - $1300 is pretty reasonable.

Cons:
Less pocketable - Buy bigger pants.
No video out - No hooking this bad boy to a TV without a VGA converter.
Keyboard is wacky - Takes a while to get used to. The numbers are accessed by NUMLOCK and occupy the QWERTY line of letters.

Return to “Samsung”