Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile PC Review by TrustedReviews

Talk about the Samsung UMPCs here.
sev7en

Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile PC Review by TrustedReviews

Postby sev7en » Wed Sep 12, 2007 17:20

I have to admit that I’m not convinced that the Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC) category of devices has any business existing. From the minute I saw prototypes of these devices start to appear, the UMPC just appeared to be a solution to a problem that didn’t really exist. Is there really a need for a device that sits between an ultra-portable notebook and a fully featured PDA? I’m not so sure. But despite my lack of faith in the UMPC, I am a real sucker for cool gadgets so I was keen to get my paws on a Samsung Q1 despite my reservations.

The first thing that struck me about the Q1 was the packaging. Samsung has really pushed the boat out to make the Q1 look good even when it’s in the box. Much like the old Apple iPod cube shaped boxes, the Q1 packaging looks sleek, stylish and expensive. But since you can’t judge a book by its cover, it’s good to know that the Q1 itself looks even better than the box that it ships in.

The general consensus around the TrustedReviews office is that the Q1 looks like a PSP on steroids. The glossy black finish, widescreen display and what looks like a PSP analogue stick on the left all conspire to create that oversized PSP effect. The overall image of the Q1 is one of a high-end consumer electronics device, rather than a PC and I guess the general idea is that it’s a bit of both. Weighing in at 779g and measuring only 227 x 140 x 27mm (WxHxD) the Q1 is large and heavy compared to a Windows Mobile device, but smaller and lighter than even the most svelte ultra-portable notebook.

Inside the Q1 is an Intel Celeron M running at 900MHz, along with 512MB of memory. The Q1 will accept up to 1GB of memory, but you’d have to dump the 512MB SODIM if you wanted to upgrade. The 40GB hard disk is hardly capacious by notebook standards, but Samsung is limited to a 1.8in model due to the size of the Q1. Wireless connectivity is well catered for with both 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth onboard, allowing you to get connected via a hotspot, or through a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone.

Check the full story here...
[color="Red"]Sony VAIO VGN-UX91S - 03.04.07[/color]
[color="Orange"] OS - Windows 7 Build 7000 || iPC OSX Leopard Uni 10.5.6 || Project Fedora 10 [/color]
[color="White"]MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz ||
Nokia N93 || HTC TouchHD [/color]
--------
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Full Guide: Sony Vaio UX MacOS X Installation Guide & HowTo
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: Sony Vaio Series,Apple and...Cartoons Wallpapers!
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: "The Essential" For Any Mac User

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 20:54

You should edit the title of the post, it sounds like they have reviewed the Q1 Ultra (which is indeed a UMPC) it should read Q1 UMPC because the ultra in UMPC makes it sound like the Q1 Ultra!
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

sev7en

Postby sev7en » Thu Sep 13, 2007 00:03

benz145 wrote:You should edit the title of the post, it sounds like they have reviewed the Q1 Ultra (which is indeed a UMPC) it should read Q1 UMPC because the ultra in UMPC makes it sound like the Q1 Ultra!

benz they reviewed the product as it is. I read the review and it's the Q1 Ultra UMPC. There is another topic I opened today about the first gen, Q1 UMPC.

Mmh do you mean something different?
[color="Red"]Sony VAIO VGN-UX91S - 03.04.07[/color]

[color="Orange"] OS - Windows 7 Build 7000 || iPC OSX Leopard Uni 10.5.6 || Project Fedora 10 [/color]

[color="White"]MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz ||

Nokia N93 || HTC TouchHD [/color]

--------

[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Full Guide: Sony Vaio UX MacOS X Installation Guide & HowTo

[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: Sony Vaio Series,Apple and...Cartoons Wallpapers!

[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: "The Essential" For Any Mac User

P996

Postby P996 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:57

sev7en wrote:benz they reviewed the product as it is. I read the review and it's the Q1 Ultra UMPC. There is another topic I opened today about the first gen, Q1 UMPC.

Mmh do you mean something different?

Your thread title implies that this is about the Q1 Ultra but your pictures show the Q1, not the Q1 Ultra.

Here are a few observations (I just got one, the Q1 Ultra):
1. slightly better quality look and feel compared to the Q1
2. "feels" a bit bulky, especially compared to the UX
3. display is much better, brighter and less grainy compared to the Q1 display
4. performance pretty good but I retrofitted my Q1 Ultra with another 1 GB RAM (now this little baby has 2 GB RAM) and Windows Vista Ultimate instead. What can I say, compared to the initial 1 GB and Windows XP Tablet 2005 specs, my Q1 Ultra flies.
5. due to the VIA processor, processing speed is very slow and iTunes playback is stuttering a lot (may have to do with the 60 HDD too)
6. 60 GB HDD, not every fast but pleasing
7. HSDPA works like a charm, very good reception signal (inc. Buildings) and the supplied Option OEM software works like a charm and is very easy to use
8. REAL WORL battery life (standard battery life) is aprox. 2 hours with 100% display brightness setting and permanent WiFi/HSDPA usage. Using the larger battery, the battery life raises to almost 4 hours. Not bad.
9. fan sometimes makes annoying (and pretty loud) noise
10. letter/word recognition works great with Vista
11. adding 1 GB RAM (total of 2 GB RAM) works wonders, especially with Vista
12. tiny little keyboards left and right next to the display are pretty much useless

Conclusion: I like the Samsung Q1 Ultra but it seems to lack "something".
I also don't understand why Samsung has chosen to deliver the Q1 Ultra in Germany with only 1 GB RAM and Windows Tablet 2005. 2 GB RAM and Windows Vista make a perfect combo.

myday

Postby myday » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:56

this q1u was recommended by my friend , he is using it now.
--latest version q1u is equipped with keypad ( queater key board )
--longer battery life
--big screen
--this new q1u is look better than previous q1
--1GB , upgradable to 2mb. like my UX 512 , is very slow..
--vista
--and more...
--i heard , there is a slot ( in future ) ,built in for sim card ( 3g) , can do mobile broadband..
like my UX still today , still unable to find CF 3g sim data card for it..
now only using the huawei usb , which make my UX having a tail.
all i bought from the 3g cf card from japan , none of it can use , all sim locked.
only found the RTM cf card running old and slow gprs...

andy , singapore

ashleynathomas

Postby ashleynathomas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 07:48

Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile Tablet PC is really much featured.Beautiful, featherweight design; decent-size screen; multiple methods to navigate menus and input text; plenty of networking options; dual-mic array.Even its tiny speakers sound unusually good for their size, and its video playback is flawless. I loaded 720p and 1080i Windows Media 9 HDTV clips into the Q1, and their playback was smooth and brought out the best in this high-quality LCD display.

Return to “Samsung”