Soon another happy UX owner :D

Talk about general micro PC topics here.
HCFREAK

Soon another happy UX owner :D

Postby HCFREAK » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:56

Hi there guys :)
I just found this site and I think it´s absoutely great. My UX50 I has just been ordered with the stowaway keyboard and I can barely wait for it to arrive.

I will use this little wonder mainly as a gadget beside my Toshiba Notebook, which I use for working with Photoshop CS, Premiere, etc.
I am really excited how much power this little gadget has and what kind of programs I´ll be able to run on it.

Since I´m really still into games, I already did a kind of a list of games, which will work with the UX50, I suppose. For example the whole Resident Evil series on PC, Baldur´s Gate or even Sacred, the whole GTA series of course and if it works I will surely install World Of Warcraft.

I am using both, WinXP and I am still using Win2000 on my desktop machine. I noticed one big difference between XP and 2K. XP takes a lot more of the computer´s RAM for itself then Win2K does. Therefore I guess installing Win2K on the UX is a good idea because it leaves more of the RAM for applications.

Oh, btw. Has anyome tried if it´s possible to use a Bluetooth keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse at the same time with good quality? Especially for playing I was wondering if the reaction time slows down a bit if you´re using 2 Bluetooth devices, rather than one Bluetooth and one Wireless.

Does anyone know if Windows detects the stylus when you point it at the screen, even without having installed the “Tablet Version” of Windows?

Hey Reggie *wave*. I was happily surprised to see, that it was you with the Clie Source Site, which became One Source. Since I am still using my Clie it was and still is a very cool site for me. Although I made nearly the worst experiences of all with the costumer support from Sony I can´t help but always come back to their products. I think no other company makes such cool and stylish Notebooks, Handhelds, etc.

Oh yeah, I was wondering, since I didn´t want to buy the cradle for the UX50 (it offers nothing really good, considering connectivity, even not a PCMCIA slot) how you guys deal with placing the UX on a table, while charging it and having the Network Lan Port replicator plugged in.

Also I was wondering what your main reasons where why you bought an UX.
For me, it´s not even because I need to have an ultra small PC with me all the time. I don´t travel so much and I already have a notebook. Somehow I´m really into a device that is so small, but still has to offer nearly everything a real notebook would do. Sometimes I even enjoy more playing games on a smaller device, than on my desktop :)

I will be browsing this forum quite a lot during the next weeks I think ^^

Sorry for gramma, english isn´t my native language, but I´ll try.

Floodguy

Postby Floodguy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 03:06

HCFREAK wrote:Hi there guys :)

Since I´m really still into games, I already did a kind of a list of games, which will work with the UX50, I suppose. For example the whole Resident Evil series on PC, Baldur´s Gate or even Sacred, the whole GTA series of course and if it works I will surely install World Of Warcraft.

Hi welcome!

Baldurs Gate and its companions work great even with the inbuild keyboard. I didn't got Scared to work, thought it will install, the switching it in 800x600 res doesn't work. Maybe Sacred 2 will do. But Dungeon Siege I/II works well too.

Search the forum for the game thread.

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 04:12

Excuse me if I'm a bit confused...but you got a UX50? This is strange to me because I'm pretty sure your talking about a micro PC, but I have my Sony PEG-UX50 PDA sitting right next to me. If someone could give me a link to the UX50 Micro PC it might clear up a little confusion : P

Well at least I can tell you that WoW works on my UX180. I don't have any addons installed yet, but it runs the game fairly well. I turned down all the settings and get a fairly solid 30 FPS, which is on average better then my Dell desktop. The nice thing about it, is when in major cities instead of freezing and loading for 10 mins, it slowly loads all the people as to not totally freeze the thing up. Overclocking the video card might help a bit, though I'm not sure how smart of an idea that is on a Micro PC.

I'm also wondering if you can use a BT keyboard and mouse at the same time without any problems : )

Floodguy

Postby Floodguy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 06:45

benz145 wrote:Excuse me if I'm a bit confused...but you got a UX50? This is strange to me because I'm pretty sure your talking about a micro PC, but I have my Sony PEG-UX50 PDA sitting right next to me. If someone could give me a link to the UX50 Micro PC it might clear up a little confusion : P

Well at least I can tell you that WoW works on my UX180. I don't have any addons installed yet, but it runs the game fairly well. I turned down all the settings and get a fairly solid 30 FPS, which is on average better then my Dell desktop. The nice thing about it, is when in major cities instead of freezing and loading for 10 mins, it slowly loads all the people as to not totally freeze the thing up. Overclocking the video card might help a bit, though I'm not sure how smart of an idea that is on a Micro PC.

I'm also wondering if you can use a BT keyboard and mouse at the same time without any problems : )

This is a Sony Vaio Type VGN-UX50 the standard model
[ATTACH]137[/ATTACH]

and this is a Sony Clie PEG-UX50 Palm OS PDA
[ATTACH]138[/ATTACH]

And sure you can use a BT mouse and BT keyboard together. If I remmber well, it is possible to use upto 16 BT devices at once.
Attachments
feat4_1.jpg
060516_vaiou.jpg

HCFREAK

Postby HCFREAK » Fri Sep 15, 2006 09:30

Ehm... sorry about the confusion. I meant of course the VGN-UX50.

It could become kind of a problem, trying to run WoW on an PEG-UX50, I think ;)

I am acutally thinking about testing all kind of games on the VGN-UX50 and really try to find the borders what games still work on it, and which ones doesn´t. I was thinking of recording the micro pc while the games are playing. I could record it with my Clié PEG-NR70V and upload the videos to youtube. I think a few more videos of a Sony VGN-UX50 while playing games would be great.

outie

Postby outie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:01

I heard from a Japanese friend that the VGN-UX was designed by the same guy who designed the PEG-UX50!

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:14

Whats the difference between the VGN-UX50, and the VGN-UX180?

gordoncahill

Postby gordoncahill » Sat Sep 16, 2006 00:14

The UX180 is made for the North America market. The UX50 and UX90 are made for the Asian market. And the UX17 is madefor the Oceania market.

The UX180 has a GPRS radio and antenna and a 1.2 GHz processor.

The UX50 has a Compact Flash Slot (no gprs) and a 1.06ghz processor.

The UX90 and UX17 have a compact flash slot and a 1.2ghz processor.

The Asian models also have a slightly different dock.

And then there are the flash hard drive models......

Gordon

bdhu2001

Postby bdhu2001 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 01:01

Question by HCFREAK:
Oh, btw. Has anyome tried if it´s possible to use a Bluetooth keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse at the same time with good quality? Especially for playing I was wondering if the reaction time slows down a bit if you´re using 2 Bluetooth devices, rather than one Bluetooth and one Wireless.

I use my bluetooth mouse and keyboard with no problem. I've also used my bluetooth headset, keyboard, and mouse with no problem.

Fred

Postby Fred » Sat Sep 16, 2006 02:05

Before I don't have any problem with my BT presenter/mouse and BT Headset to an active speaker for doing presentation. But two days ago the music stop when I move the mouse, that means the mouse will affect the music. One thing difference is I just add a LCD monitor nearby, not shure is it the frequency of the monitor affect it.

Return to “General”