The Micro PC Talk Sony Vaio UX First Impressions Thread

Talk about general micro PC topics here.
bigs

Postby bigs » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12

my ux fingerprint sensor is always spot on. although I know certain finger print sensors work better for certain finger prints than others.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 19:48

I rarely have to do more than one swipe to get logged in. I also read somewhere that it depends on your finger, and perhaps even your age. Older peoples fingers are harder to read.

chromiumdr

Postby chromiumdr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 22:03

Interesting. Granted, it's a minor miracle I can get any scanner to work at all -- I have a mean case of eczema on my hands and I have 3 "usable" fingers at the best of times :)

However, I think I'm finding a good, consistent method for getting the scan to work, so I think I can withdraw that little quirk.

Now, to get the bluetooth and the camera up to spec on my Win7...

niteman1969

Postby niteman1969 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 02:09

Model UX1XN
Bought 15/02/2011

Dislikes : Keyboard. Camera, Battery Life

Originally bought this earlier this year from a local computer shop in London.

No matter what I tried with the included windows vista the machine seemed
painfully slow.

So I put it away in its box with the charger and dock and cd's and thought that
it was another £200 that i had wasted on another pointless gadget.

However. the other night I was bored and there was nothing on tv I decided
to see if I could get anything useful from it.

Then I stumbled across these forums and by 5am I had a nice snappy
windows 7 installed machine thanks to all the contributors on here.

I first tried windows 7 home premium but was not impressed at all as I
am used to running several programs at once. spotify, messenger. skype
and of course norton 360. Kept on getting high cpu use and low memory
messages.

So then I decided to try windows 7 starter that comes as standard on
netbooks. as they have 1GB of ram and intel 945 graphics this i was
sure would give me a shot at getting the performance I wanted.

Let's just say that with windows 7 starter I am a very happy man.

Although having only 3 hours sleep before you go to work is not
something I would recommend.

Now I just need the extended battery and maybe mod / replace the front
webcam with something like an isight from a broken down macbook,
as well as replacing the wifi to an N model from the macbook also.

The supplied internal wifi is good but N would be better.

I just typed all this with the ux keyboard and it took an age.

Definatley horrible!!!

bigs

Postby bigs » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24

niteman1969,

Nice summary of your experience so far on the ux. Have to agree the web cam is not the hottest, but hey, its not bad for a 2006 generation webcam. As for battery life, the extended battery is a must for using the ux for any extended period of time, although recelling the original battery with 2900mah panasonics give a good 2 hour battery life from the standard battery.

As for the keyboard, it can be a little annoying at times, but one can get used to it. and it is by far nicer than just having a touch screen based keyboard. I would imagine though for ux owners with larger fingers, the keyboard could be hard to operate accurately.

I use the intel 4965 agn. although this is an older N minipci, it works well with much better reception than the stock wifi g card, and does work well on single band wifi n access points.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 23:17

:cool:

Model UX480fn (All Black)
Bought 15/07/2011

Likes : Core2 Solo, SSD, Fingerprint Reader, Bluetooth, GPS, Touch Panel and LCD, many accesories

Dislikes : Keyboard(i cant mark "@") and i would prefer a red backlight keyboard, 1GB ram is not enough

Hello guys , i'm from Venezuela, I recently bought this litle black sexy pc and im so fascinated since managed to get Windows 7 working at 100 % with the help of this forum and my own tweaks because some drivers are diferent for this model like the webcam.

The 48 GB SSD it is so fast, and the LCD is really sharp. I will make some research to try a mod that will change the blue color on the keyboard for Red.

Sorry for my poor english je je.

See ya . . .

Harry-F !!!

bigs

Postby bigs » Sat Jul 23, 2011 00:47

Welcome harryfokker to micropc forums.

Its a bit of a hit and miss with the keyboard with some saying its ok, but more so believe the keyboard is a little too cramped and small. But hey it is probably one if the last powerful umpcs with a physical keyboard. It seems more portable devices are opting for a virtual touch screen keyboard.

To help you hit the keys easier, why not use sticky keys, eg when you want the "@" symbol push "shift", release, then push "2". That will save you trying to push both tiny button simultaneously.

bigs

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Sat Jul 23, 2011 04:15

Yep, since there is only the one Shift key ( & 1 Ctrl), I end up using "sticky" often.

By the way, what's the (useless?) key to the right of the space bar supposed to be? It just seems to right-click something when I hit it.
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

bigs

Postby bigs » Sat Jul 23, 2011 04:37

ceehoppy1st the key to the right of the space bar is like a right click button. could reprogram it to something more useful

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 07:21

Hello Guys, thanks for the help, i will try the sticks keys in a couple of days cause my UX is kindly of dead right now JE JE JE, i dont know if that will working for me because i use the spanish Keyboard configuration and for mark the "@" i need the right "Alt Gr" Button that doesn't exist in the UX.

About a week i read about Trim tecnology in Solid State Drive like the one i found in my UX480fn(i think is the same hardware than UX490N), to enabled i need to activate the ACHI suport in the Bios, like all we know the Bios in the UX has many options disabled; i found this Bios Mod and installed (http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Sony-Vaio-UX-memory-settings) MY ADVICE: NEVER NEVER NEVER INSTALL THIS BIOS, when i restart my UX turns on but doing nothing absolutly nothing, the 3 lights(Num,Caps,Scroll) Blink but nevers shows up the Vaio Logo or nothing else= My Bios is Corrupt, i call a Sony Service and reparation Center and they told that they can try to restore the bios but it will cost me 80 Dollars(700.000 Bolívares) well i'm going to give they the UX this Wednesday and prey for they can resurrect my litle precious.

Now Guys, im asking if someone had a problem like this before me?? and someone try this another Bios Mod that Bigs mention in(http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5534&page=67&highlight=bios) really i wanna my bios mod and Trim Suport but if another mistake cost me 80 Bucks again it will be such a pain in the ...

Thanks for your help, all of you

Harry-F!!!

Return to “General”