The Micro PC Talk Sony Vaio UX First Impressions Thread

Talk about general micro PC topics here.
bigs

Postby bigs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:53

for me the benefits from the bios mods are minimal and not worth installing. I have flashed my bios up and down firmwares up and down many times without failure. Strange that you managed to corrupt your bios? what exactly happened before you restarted your ux? did the bios writing program hang or stop anytime while writing the bios?
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 06:45

Hello, this was i did:
1) Downgrade the Bios and restart = No problems
2) Download that moded Bios and installed, all normally / when the bios finished the installation says sucess and restart.
3) When restart the UX turns on but the vaio logo doesn't appear, and the UX does nothing. Black Screen, recognizes the battery but anything else, i tried with a Monitor and keyboard connected to the port replicator but nothing, also i tried many recovery bios metods used on hp and acer laptops but nothing work.

bigs

Postby bigs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 07:08

nice Harryfokker, now you have a very expensive UX battery charger!

How about opening up the UX and disconnecting all power sources, battery, power cord, and then unplug the internal backup battery that keeps the bios settings and clock settings.

Also some have said holding the on button in the on position for a long time can achieve a similar result.

bigs
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 01:58

ja ja ja ja , Very Expensive UX battery charger thats right i could never say batter; but yes i tried disconecting all the power sources, battery, Bios Battery(the litle internal battery). I will try it again tonight and see if your post give me luck je je, if not well i send to the Sony Service Center and pay je je je. If you know another alternative please tell me.

Thanks for your help

masterfu

Postby masterfu » Sat Jul 07, 2012 03:34

I'm reviving this thread for a bit, since I just got mine a few weeks ago

Purchased From:Ebay, a seller in Florida
Purchase/Arrival Date: Purchase: 6/11/2012, Arrival: 6/20/2012

Likes: Pocket sized and touch screen, which opens up MANY computing oppotunities with the new Windows 8 system.

Dislikes: If I brought this computer back in 2006, I would dislike it's price. It is too unreasonably expensive. I think $800 is the right price.

Favorite apps: Starcraft!!!! I haven't tried Starcraft 2 on this baby yet(lowest graphic settings of course). The touch screen and the pocket size makes starcraft a whole lot more fun. I configured that a light tap is a left click command, and holding down a tap for a brief while is a right click command(giving order to units), been pretty happy with these settings so far, redoing the campaign since I never really played through starcraft 1's campaign with voices and movies.

bigs

Postby bigs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 06:55

welcome masterfu. Indeed the touch screen in the UX puts it light years ahead for it's time. When it first came out in 2006, it was a very pricey unit, but looking at the feature set it included showed it really was a premium piece of hardware, utilizing many technologies like bluetooth 2.0, wifi, finger print reader, docking station included, backlit keyboard and multiple web cams. It basically had full spec notebook hardware that can fit in the palm of your hands.

I have played starcraft with the touch screen, and although novel and futuristic, somehow I find I can play starcraft a whole lot better with a mouse!

masterfu

Postby masterfu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 04:47

bigs wrote:welcome masterfu. Indeed the touch screen in the UX puts it light years ahead for it's time. When it first came out in 2006, it was a very pricey unit, but looking at the feature set it included showed it really was a premium piece of hardware, utilizing many technologies like bluetooth 2.0, wifi, finger print reader, docking station included, backlit keyboard and multiple web cams. It basically had full spec notebook hardware that can fit in the palm of your hands.

I have played starcraft with the touch screen, and although novel and futuristic, somehow I find I can play starcraft a whole lot better with a mouse!

speaking of the backlight keyboard, how do I make it to lit up the entire keyboard? Right now it only lits up the letters, the FN key and everything related to the FN key don't lit up. I seen people on youtube that has everything lit up.

Starcraft is originally intended with a mouse, and with a keyboard so those korean progamers can have 200+ APM god speed. The reason why I think this is more fun is because Starcraft has never been a portable game before, there were people that tried to port the game to the PSP or NDS, but Blizzard stopped them. With this tiny computer, I can enjoy starcraft anywhere.

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Mon Jul 09, 2012 06:15

Everything that lights up on the UX keyboard is translucent to allow the backlight leds to shine thru. FN & all its "stuff" is painted on the outside of the keys- so the backlight can't work on that. If you see UX that does have that illuminated, then I'd think it must be custom work (you'd have to carefully scrape off the paint to expose the plastic underneath)
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

masterfu

Postby masterfu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 15:37

ceehoppy1st wrote:Everything that lights up on the UX keyboard is translucent to allow the backlight leds to shine thru. FN & all its "stuff" is painted on the outside of the keys- so the backlight can't work on that. If you see UX that does have that illuminated, then I'd think it must be custom work (you'd have to carefully scrape off the paint to expose the plastic underneath)

I see, that kinda sucks。I wouldn't be able to use much of the keyboard in the dark, i could rely on the on-screen keyboard through.

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Mon Jul 09, 2012 19:00

Normally, all keys except FN (63 out of 64)are backlit to some extent (for 14sec after a key is pressed). That means all letters, numbers, ESC thru CTRL, ALT,Space, Delete, Enter, etc. What isn't lit is FN or its blue "Fn sub keys" (F1-F12, num lk. PgUp/Dn etc) OR the orange NumLK "keypad" sub keys either.

So you should be able to do most typing "in the dark".
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy

UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

Return to “General”