What do you all think about the HTC Shift?

Talk about the HTC UMPCs here.
bnycastro

Postby bnycastro » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:12

the kojinsha isn't touch screen right?
bnycastro

MSI Wind U100 XP Home SP3

bnycastro

Postby bnycastro » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:20

also the kojinsha doesn't have built in WAN [wide area networking i.e. gprs/edge/umts] i'm looking at the flybook v5 which looks like a nice competitor to the shift.
bnycastro

giant

yes it is

Postby giant » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:36

bnycastro wrote:the kojinsha isn't touch screen right?

The first one did not have but the second one does.

Check the link
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/kohjinsha-sa1f00v-7-tablet-umpc-adds-touchscreen-still-as-slow-as-before-254409.php
Sony UX50 - Japanese OS

giant

No it doesn't

Postby giant » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:39

bnycastro wrote:also the kojinsha doesn't have built in WAN [wide area networking i.e. gprs/edge/umts] i'm looking at the flybook v5 which looks like a nice competitor to the shift.

...do you fund WAN useful..isn't it slow?..
Sony UX50 - Japanese OS

bnycastro

Postby bnycastro » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:16

it is slow but when there is no wifi hotspot available then what choice do you have? i would rather have it as an option than not have it at all. the shift will have umts which is faster than edge/gprs on my ux280p.
bnycastro

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Thu Jun 07, 2007 13:20

I'll look at it seriously after it's out. I'd like to see some performance data.
That said, I probably won't switch. I don't see anything incredibly compelling features (compared to the UX) that would "force" a switch.

The larger display would be nice.
MeanSquare
--------------
[color="YellowGreen"]UX390N[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1500 (1.33GHz), 1GB RAM, 32GB Solid State Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"]clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]
[color="YellowGreen"]UX90S[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1400 (1.2GHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"] clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

itsivan

How About HTC Advantage?

Postby itsivan » Thu Jun 07, 2007 21:22

http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_x7501.htm

This is not really a window PC but rather a windowmobile PPC. However, it works as a phone, too. And its 5" screen won't cut much corner.

giant

For me it is all about two things

Postby giant » Fri Jun 08, 2007 02:12

...the most important things for me are
1) Portability
2) Battery

So i solve both by having a Palm, UX and a PSP.

While I have hacked everything to do many things - I find these are the main uses for me.

Palm - use with foldable keyboard to take notes at meetings.
PSP - music, games and movies. Great battery life and great controls for games.
UX
- wi-fi internet (good at airports especially)
- Financial software (work, using import and export plus XP Syncro Power Toy) I connect to the office network to get word and software data with the dongle then take it home and plug it into the port replicator which is set-up at home with a keyboard, screen and speakers. So I am carrying it every day.
- internet at home (network with my wife).

I usually know what to bring, usually I do not bring all 3. These days the Palm stays at home.

For me the HTC full keyboard makes it too big since I only use the keyboard on the go for internet surfing (plus I have a few on-screen keyboards as well). I would not do any business typing on a keyboard like that!

My 2 cents anyway.
Sony UX50 - Japanese OS

Davey

Postby Davey » Tue Jun 26, 2007 23:05

I agree I have a HTC pocket PC phone which is great as a PIM with a reasonable battery life and instant on - people just don't like to wait while you check diaries these days

as it is it is about as big as I want to use as a phone.....a umpc as big as a pocket pc with 24 hour battery and perfect voice recog is what I would love....

problem is that battery tech is not there yet I feel....

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 05:07

The shift has a VIA CPU, that plus the UMPC resolution screen kills it for me. The UX is the only small device I have seen with a decent resolution.

What business does VIA have thinking they can make CPU's, VIA has got to be the crappiest company in the game, worse than SiS even. Absolute garbage products.

Return to “HTC”