Help plz,Ubuntu Netbook Edition touchscreen calabration & thumb joggle over sensitive

Talk about installing other operating systems on the micro PC.
liviococcia

Help plz,Ubuntu Netbook Edition touchscreen calabration & thumb joggle over sensitive

Postby liviococcia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 23:28

Hello Members
I'm using a Viao UX390n and have installed the latest Ubuntu Net-book Edition.

I have three problems, and because I'm a newbie to Ubuntu, but really like it, i hope a forum member may have a layman's solution to them, please see below

1: How do i calibrate the touch-screen, the pointer is fairly centred when near the middle of the screen, but as you move further outward, it's way out, how can this be calibrated under Ubuntu NE?

2:If i use the thumb joggle, it's so sensitive just touching it makes the action perform a click, it does move the pointer around ok though, is there a solution to this one?

3:If the unit's mounted to the base-station, although i have no Ethernet connection and use a USB T-Mobile dongle Mobile broadband connection, the network connection icon will not try to connect to any kind of network until i click onto my T-Mobile connection in the drop-down menu, this is just fine for me ...but, if the unit's not on the base-station it will repeatedly try to connect via a 'Wired' connection and report it's disconnected until i click onto the network icon, and choose 'Disconnect' , and then i can then choose to connect via the T-Mobile connection, is there a simple solution to this problem?

All members help and experience would be grateful, other than these issues Ubuntu Net-book Edition runs very well on the UX390n .

Kind regards
Livio

kiz

Postby kiz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 00:21

how did you install ubuntu is it 10.04 did you use a CD or usb stick

liviococcia

Postby liviococcia » Fri Jun 04, 2010 08:42

Hello Kiz, i used an external USB DVD/CD writer disk drive, the UX was in it's base station all the time, and plugged into the mains, i had the external DVD drive plugged into the UX itself and not the base station, the Ubuntu Net-book Edition 10.04 .ISO disk which i had created from the official website download, was in the drive.

On starting up the UX i pressed the 'ESC' button, this brings up the boot menu, i picked the 'Enter setup' option which takes you into the BIO's screen, i then went to the last tab and set everything to 'Load default values' i then went back to either second or third tab, and notice an option that was labelled 'External Drive Boot' or 'Enable USB Boot' something like that (i can check this out if your unclear), i changed it's setting to 'Detect' or 'Enable' and then went back to the last tab in the BIO's set-up to 'Exit' saving the changes I'd made.

The UX then started rebooting and as the VIAO post screen appeared, i again pressed the 'Esc' button on the keyboard, again the boot menu appeared and choosing this time to boot from the 'USB optical CD drive'.

Success, Ubuntu then started up and i chose to do a full install across the entire hard drive, it runs great apart from the issue above, I've also just notice i need to find out how to get the web-cams working.

Hope this helps, regards

PS: I've included all the above details as it may help others, i realise Kiz had only asked a straight forward question in his post.

liviococcia

Postby liviococcia » Fri Jun 04, 2010 09:27

And also...if you do install Ubunntu Netbook Edition 10.04, and have installed all it's updates, you may need to follow these instrations below if you have no sound.

You need to modify the 'alsa-base.conf' file, it's location address is in the /etc/modprobe.d folder
1: Open a terminal and type:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

2: Add this line to the bottom of the file:
options snd-hda-intel model=auto

Save and close the file

3: Open a terminal and type:
alsamixer

4: You'll see as series of graphs. Using the arrow keys navigate to each one and make sure the volume is all the way up on Master, Speaker, PCM and Front and unmute any that are muted, any microphone levels should remain at there lowest value or can be muted. (Type M to mute or unmute a graph), press 'Esc' when complete, and close the terminal then restart the UX device.

Note: If alsamixer is not installed open a terminal window and type in ithe instructioons below to iinstall:

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

Then continue from instruction 3 above

regards

liviococcia

Postby liviococcia » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:42

I have also managed to get the front webcam to work by following these instrutions

1: Download the r5u870 driver from
http://www.palmix.org/r5u870-en.html.
The driver version is for kernel 2.6.30: i386 (32bit), save the file to the desktop (this location is important) and extract the file to the desktop.

1: Open a terminal window and type this instruction below:

sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev libusb-dev build-essential gcc automake mercurial

a number of files will be downloaded and installed, after completion close the terminal window.

2: Open a terminal window again and type the following, pressing enter after each line:

cd Desktop

cd r5u870

make

sudo make install

after completion, close the terminal window again

4: Again reopen a terminal window and type:

sudo modprobe uvcvideo

it may appear as if nothing has happened, then close the terminal window and reboot the UX390n

regards

liviococcia

Postby liviococcia » Sat Jun 05, 2010 01:44

More info regarding the sensitivity of the thumb pad on the UX390N, i managed to find more info and a step by step instruction thanks to another forum members posting (thanks tannalv)

1: Just download the files 'psmouse-2.6.32-21-generic.zip (31.8 KB) & 'psmouse-2.6.32-22-generic.zip (31.7 KB) from 'tannalv's' post 'Howto Ubuntu 10.04 (Updated April 20 -10)' link is below:
http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7861

save them both to your 'downloads' folder.

2: Create two new empty folders, name one folder 2.6.32-21 and the other 2.6.32-22, these will be used to hold a copy the original files we're going to replace.

3: Presss 'Alt + F2' to open a Run Application box, and type gksudo nautilus , this will open the file manager in administrator mode, do not close this file manager window until you have completed all the step below.

4: Go to /lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse highlight and copy the existing psmouse.ko file and paste to the empty 2.6.32-21 folder you created in step 2, this is just to backup the original file should there be any problems

5: Go to /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse highlight and copy the existing psmouse.ko file and again paste to the empty 2.6.32-22 folder you created in step 2, this is just to backup the original file should there be any problems

6: Go to the 'Files & Folders' via the main desktop menu to your downloads folder, and extract the first zip file 2.6.32-21, direct the extracted file to stay inside the downloads folder.

7: Now highlight and copy this newly extracted psmouse.ko file, then paste it via the 'Administrator' file manager window to it's location below,

/lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse
agree to replace the existing one with this new one when the message prompt appears.

8: Now go back to the your downloads folder using again 'Files & Folders' from the main desktop menu, and delete the psmouse.ko file you had just extracted, and have now used.

9: Again, while in the downloads folder via the 'Files & Folders' , extract the second zip file 2.6.32-22, direct the extracted file to stay inside the downloads folder.

10: Now highlight and copy this newly extracted psmouse.ko file, then paste it via the 'Administrator' file manager window to it's location below,

/lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse
agree to replace the existing one with this new one when the message prompt appears.

11: Now go back to the your downloads folder using again 'Files & Folders' from the main desktop menu, and delete the psmouse.ko file you had just extracted, and have now used.

12: Open a terminal window and type in below to try to unload

modprobe -r psmouse
Doing this just seemed to report an error back saying this could not be done as it was in use

13:Then while the terminal window was still open, i went straight to the 'force it to load' command below
modprobe --force psmouse
Nothing was reported back via the terminal window

14: I then decided to close everything down, disconnected my network connection (T-Mobile mobile broadband dongle setup), and shut down the UX (and not a restart).

When the UX booted back up, i found the thumb joggler behaved as it should with no more super sensitivity and allowing me to click or double click normally.

regards

Return to “Alternate OS”