Instant Play on US Serie via GeeXboX!

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Tue May 22, 2007 18:52

I'm not sure if this should be a new thread, but my situation arises from trying to use GeexBox. Here's the issue: I can't get any of my USB sticks to boot (!!). I've been through the BIOS settings and have enabled Boot External Drive and set USB Flash up at the beginning of the boot sequence. It still boots my hard drive :(

Any ideas? Does anyone want to start a list of USB sticks that will actually boot on the UX? So far, the Sandisk Cruser Micro 2GB, Sandisk Cruser Mini 4GB, and Viking 4GB all don't work for me.

Related?: I'm using the HP Flash Media Formatter program to format my USB sticks. I'm fairly sure I should use FAT or FAT32 (not NTFS). I've tried both to no avail.

Also related?: Is there some special way I should dump the contents of the ISO file onto the media? I've been simply extracting all the files/folders and placing them in the root folder of the USB stick.
MeanSquare
--------------
[color="YellowGreen"]UX390N[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1500 (1.33GHz), 1GB RAM, 32GB Solid State Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"]clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]
[color="YellowGreen"]UX90S[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1400 (1.2GHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"] clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

enterman

Postby enterman » Tue May 22, 2007 19:27

MeanSquare wrote:I'm not sure if this should be a new thread, but my situation arises from trying to use GeexBox. Here's the issue: I can't get any of my USB sticks to boot (!!). I've been through the BIOS settings and have enabled Boot External Drive and set USB Flash up at the beginning of the boot sequence. It still boots my hard drive :(

Any ideas? Does anyone want to start a list of USB sticks that will actually boot on the UX? So far, the Sandisk Cruser Micro 2GB, Sandisk Cruser Mini 4GB, and Viking 4GB all don't work for me.

Related?: I'm using the HP Flash Media Formatter program to format my USB sticks. I'm fairly sure I should use FAT or FAT32 (not NTFS). I've tried both to no avail.

Also related?: Is there some special way I should dump the contents of the ISO file onto the media? I've been simply extracting all the files/folders and placing them in the root folder of the USB stick.

your last sentence is the reason its not working. Read how to install at Geexbox's site: http://www.geexbox.org/en/doc.html#installator though I keep getting a error when installing from the CD. Anyone know how to install it without using a CD?
Want to know what games work and don't work on your UX? Read my list.
Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Tue May 22, 2007 20:23

Thanks. I knew it was probably something easy that I skipped over in my haste.
MeanSquare

--------------

[color="YellowGreen"]UX390N[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1500 (1.33GHz), 1GB RAM, 32GB Solid State Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"]clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

[color="YellowGreen"]UX90S[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1400 (1.2GHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"] clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

sev7en

Postby sev7en » Wed May 23, 2007 15:58

Mean, if you want to make bootable USB pendrive (for Windows or DOS) use FlashBoot. About GeeXboX enterman already wrote the howto :) check often the forum: it's a gold mine for informations and tweaks (of course, if you get something interesting... post here!) :p
[color="Red"]Sony VAIO VGN-UX91S - 03.04.07[/color]
[color="Orange"] OS - Windows 7 Build 7000 || iPC OSX Leopard Uni 10.5.6 || Project Fedora 10 [/color]
[color="White"]MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz ||
Nokia N93 || HTC TouchHD [/color]
--------
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Full Guide: Sony Vaio UX MacOS X Installation Guide & HowTo
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: Sony Vaio Series,Apple and...Cartoons Wallpapers!
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: "The Essential" For Any Mac User

enterman

Postby enterman » Wed May 23, 2007 17:20

sev7en wrote:Mean, if you want to make bootable USB pendrive (for Windows or DOS) use FlashBoot. About GeeXboX enterman already wrote the howto :) check often the forum: it's a gold mine for informations and tweaks (of course, if you get something interesting... post here!) :p

pls give link

Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Wed May 23, 2007 18:42

Just so you know, I had no trouble booting after I followed the install instructions.
The odd thing (it may be my USB stick) is that it takes a while to boot up. It's still faster than a full OS boot though. (The only issue I have is that I generally don't shut down my machine. I just put it in Standby with a drop-down to Hibernate after 15 minutes.)
MeanSquare

--------------

enterman

Postby enterman » Wed May 23, 2007 18:47

MeanSquare wrote:Just so you know, I had no trouble booting after I followed the install instructions.
The odd thing (it may be my USB stick) is that it takes a while to boot up. It's still faster than a full OS boot though. (The only issue I have is that I generally don't shut down my machine. I just put it in Standby with a drop-down to Hibernate after 15 minutes.)

so u put in your CD, type install and got no error? also Flashboot refuses to use the ISO file for geexbox, it says that its not linux based or something like that and that it cant convert it.

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Wed May 23, 2007 21:13

The GeexBox ISO is Linux based. I used Nero to burn it to a CD. Then, I put in the CD, re-booted, when the "boot:" prompt occurs, I press a key, then type install and it works. I did format the USB stick before trying, but the install routine formats the stick again anyway.
MeanSquare

--------------

enterman

Postby enterman » Thu May 24, 2007 00:13

MeanSquare wrote:The GeexBox ISO is Linux based. I used Nero to burn it to a CD. Then, I put in the CD, re-booted, when the "boot:" prompt occurs, I press a key, then type install and it works. I did format the USB stick before trying, but the install routine formats the stick again anyway.

that must be it, I used alcohol to burn the image but I used DAO mode so I assumed that it would be fine. Im going to reinstall nero later and burn with that to c if that solves my problems. What type of disk did u use?

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Thu May 24, 2007 02:57

The CD is a Memorex CD-R. I installed it to a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro.

Incidentally, I was trying the same thing for an install of Ubuntu (so I might be able to sell my UX90 512MB model after all), but it takes more than 2GB. I don't have a 4GB USB stick yet. They're not very expensive though.

One comment on GeexBox so far. I wish it had a better way of identifying external storage. I kind of hard to work my way though the file system tree to find my main drive. I'm still not sure whether it's picking up my Memory Stick slot (I don't think so) or my CF slot.
MeanSquare

--------------

Return to “Linux OS”