The Long awaited Ubuntu Install Guide (based on a Gutsy Gibbon installation)

MrMuzz

Postby MrMuzz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 13:59

Thanks Benz, I've chimed in on that thread asking for the links used in dgarcia42's research for the OS X solution because he mentioned it was based on linux info. We have a talented group here, it's just a matter of time.

MrMuzz

Postby MrMuzz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 02:53

It appears at least on my 280p the synaptics driver is not what is used. X11 does recognize this device but when I cat /dev/input/event2 or cat /dev/input/mouse1 and move the stick I see output. event2 and mouse1 are associated with "DualPoint Stick". This makes sense why editing the "ALPS/PS2 ......" options in xorg.conf the didn't make any difference.

The only mouse settings I've been able to modify is commenting out the Touchpanel in the "server layout" section to make the touchpanel not work, and the "Configured Mouse" settings. The only time it seems to change behavior is if I change the settings in "configured mouse" protocol to anything other than ImPS/2 i.e. "event" or "auto-dev". This also affects the way the touchpanel behaves.....extremely erratic. I've tried changing the driver from mouse to synaptics and back.....changing the Option "Device" device parameters to all imaginable combos from mouse1, 2, 3 and protocol combos and nothing affects the ability to disable the tap. Seems a lot of people have this problem with laptop touchpads but none of the solutions I have found seem to work.

diJenerate or sev7en is your pointer mouse super sensitive, like to the point that you have to almost not touch it to not get it to register a click?

I'm not positive why this is this way hopefully someone can provide an answer?

Thanks.

PS: The supplied xorg.conf file defaults the keyboard to Japanese jp-106 style keyboard. Just wanted to kick that out there for anyone needing an English config that may be less familiar. Took me a moment to understand why typing a @ was coming out as a "

diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:43

MrMuzz wrote:diJenerate or sev7en is your pointer mouse super sensitive, like to the point that you have to almost not touch it to not get it to register a click?

I'm not positive why this is this way hopefully someone can provide an answer?

Basically what you want to do is disable click/tap but this will require a kernel patch for the driver to acknowledge the:

Code: Select all

MaxTapTime=0

which disables tap.

You can find the driver here and if you read the README.alps file included, you will see this:

On some (all?) ALPS hardware, it is not possible to disable tapping
unless you apply the patch below. However, some users have reported
that this patch breaks tap-and-drag operations, which is why the patch
is not included in the main alps.patch file.

MrMuzz wrote:PS: The supplied xorg.conf file defaults the keyboard to Japanese jp-106 style keyboard. Just wanted to kick that out there for anyone needing an English config that may be less familiar. Took me a moment to understand why typing a @ was coming out as a "

This was adapted from Mattia Dongili's file since he managed to get the dual display support working before I did. He used a UX50 with JP keyboard but I don't imagine they are many of those around now, so it's fixed for US layout and I've updated the tutorial with details on the ALPS/Glidestick fix.

diJenerate

MrMuzz

Postby MrMuzz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 15:10

Thanks for the update. Hopefully we'll get the mouse thing squared away soon. I'll try the kernel recompile maybe later tonight or tomorrow and share the results unless you share first. :)

MrMuzz

Postby MrMuzz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 15:14

Thought I'd share this guide I found some time back while installing Edgy on a laptop, it might be useful for you and other folks. I like that it allows vnc connection from boot at the login screen w/o enabling remote desktop (XDMCP).

http://www.odrakir.com/blog/?p=201

you will have to VNC in failsafe mode or a mode w/o GLX because it doesn't render properly, you wont see your open apps.

diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Thu Nov 22, 2007 15:55

MrMuzz wrote:Thought I'd share this guide I found some time back while installing Edgy on a laptop, it might be useful for you and other folks. I like that it allows vnc connection from boot at the login screen w/o enabling remote desktop (XDMCP).

http://www.odrakir.com/blog/?p=201

you will have to VNC in failsafe mode or a mode w/o GLX because it doesn't render properly, you wont see your open apps.

Why use vnc when there's NX? :)

diJenerate

MrMuzz

Postby MrMuzz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 16:33

Ignorance :) I'll have to try it, but....I do have good news!!!

In xorg.conf......there is a line missing that seems to have resolved the issue.

Under the modules section Include:

Load "synaptics"

so it looks something like this:

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "dri"
Load "synaptics"

MaxTapTime may need tailoring to individual taste but 180 seems to require a hearty tap :) I set mine to 250, I can't do click to drag now. I couldn't understand which parameter adjusted that from the readme with the driver that I wound up not installing so far. I don't think I would use click to drag from the stick though. I would use the actual mouse button for dragging. I only really wanted to move the mouse w/o registering an unwanted tap.

Let me know if the module inclusion helps your situation as well and if you know which is the setting for the click to drag please.

Now it's usuable, and I like it!!!

Now I'll have to try out NX, thanks!

diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Fri Nov 23, 2007 00:32

MrMuzz wrote:Ignorance :) I'll have to try it, but....I do have good news!!!

In xorg.conf......there is a line missing that seems to have resolved the issue.

Under the modules section Include:

Load "synaptics"

so it looks something like this:

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "dri"
Load "synaptics"

MaxTapTime may need tailoring to individual taste but 180 seems to require a hearty tap :) I set mine to 250, I can't do click to drag now. I couldn't understand which parameter adjusted that from the readme with the driver that I wound up not installing so far. I don't think I would use click to drag from the stick though. I would use the actual mouse button for dragging. I only really wanted to move the mouse w/o registering an unwanted tap.

Let me know if the module inclusion helps your situation as well and if you know which is the setting for the click to drag please.

Now it's usuable, and I like it!!!

Now I'll have to try out NX, thanks!

I did this while researching the solution but found that even with 300, 400 or even 500 as my value, I still managed the occasional unintended click-to-drag. So I hadn't included this as a solution but rather a total disabling of the click/tap feature.

If this works for you then maybe it can for others so I'll include it.

diJenerate

nebulus

Postby nebulus » Sat Dec 01, 2007 00:11

thanks for the great guide, I'm a bit of an ubuntu nut (have a SZ laptop and a 7 machine cluster running 7.10, plus my parents, wife's and 3 assorted boxes )
but I want to ask the question about ubuntu studio to sev7en, its _not_ an easy install compared to normal ubuntu, I'm doing it now, and have been for a couple of hours, and I'm not yet into the desktop...
I'm happy with this as I've installed most OS's from RH5 onwards, but its a rude awakening compared to the normal Ubuntu7.10 install!

btw thanks to benz for the benchmarking info which convinced me to go for the UK UX1XN rather than the UX490N from Japan which would have been twice the cost for slightly less performance..

loving my UX1XN (arived this morning! first charge on the train to work!) and I've only played with vista so far, fresh install of ubuntu 7.10 studio going ahead now, possibly a standard 7.10 if it doesn't play ball....

diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Sat Dec 01, 2007 03:50

nebulus wrote:thanks for the great guide, I'm a bit of an ubuntu nut (have a SZ laptop and a 7 machine cluster running 7.10, plus my parents, wife's and 3 assorted boxes )
but I want to ask the question about ubuntu studio to sev7en, its _not_ an easy install compared to normal ubuntu, I'm doing it now, and have been for a couple of hours, and I'm not yet into the desktop...
I'm happy with this as I've installed most OS's from RH5 onwards, but its a rude awakening compared to the normal Ubuntu7.10 install!

btw thanks to benz for the benchmarking info which convinced me to go for the UK UX1XN rather than the UX490N from Japan which would have been twice the cost for slightly less performance..

loving my UX1XN (arived this morning! first charge on the train to work!) and I've only played with vista so far, fresh install of ubuntu 7.10 studio going ahead now, possibly a standard 7.10 if it doesn't play ball....

Good to hear it helps... thanks! One quick note... I'd suggest that you switch your kernel from the 'rt' to 'generic' if you use ubuntustudio to avoid a few power management issues and having to recompile the webcam driver.

diJenerate

Return to “Linux OS”