The Long awaited Ubuntu Install Guide (based on a Gutsy Gibbon installation)

nebulus

Postby nebulus » Sat Dec 01, 2007 13:30

having slammed the non-gui ubuntu studio install, the normal ubuntu install hasn't been quite as easy as I'd hoped!
Nothing really taxing other than gui windows designed (and fixed) for displays larger than 600px vertical.. Actually having the two panels from the default ubuntu install made it impossible to see the back/next buttons in the installer, only dragging both the panels to either side made it possible to correctly click the correct next button...
Though maybe alt+move may have worked after moving the top panel. (it certainly didn't work with the panel at the top of the screen!)

Everything is running nicely on the system apart from an overly aggressive screen dimming when running on battery, even the screen dimming gnome-applet doesn't want to increase the brightness (it does work when plugged in though!?!)
I'm going to be googling for the answer on that but if anyone has any suggestions?

diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Sat Dec 01, 2007 15:46

@nebulus

Code: Select all

sudo locate -u && for i in $(locate lcd-???-brightness); do sudo cp $i $i.bak; sudo sed -i '1 s|#!/bin/sh|#!/bin/bash|g' $i; done
'

and make sure spicctrl is installed

diJenerate

MrMuzz

Postby MrMuzz » Sat Dec 01, 2007 19:21

@diJenerate

I've noticed something that I want to correct. The module statement in xorg.conf doesn't seem to matter. I have seen the mouse still behave in an "over-sensitive" manner. The only way I have seen it consistently work as it should is by booting vista (I'm dual partitioned) then perform a hot restart. Seems that the other OS initializes the stick pointer in some way that makes it behave differently in ubuntu. Now this is an OK work around for a one off use of the OS. When you sleep or hibernate and turn the device back on or just turn it on from a cold boot, the stick returns to the "over-sensitive" state. At first I thought this might be related to having the UX in the dock while booting then removing, having an additional mouse on the USB port while booting etc.....I didn't want to say anything until I had looked at this thoroughly and could say for certain. How has your quest for the pointer panned out so far, still struggling as well? Have you tried recompiling the kernel or anything else, I don't want to duplicate steps that you may have already taken, I was trying to keep it easy and cheesy. I don't have much X under my belt. Most of my experience has been in the command line via a terminal application. It seems that there has to be some way to get the driver to initialize differently during boot to work without the tap. Perhaps that is what a kernel compile would do, but (sorry if I'm sounding more ignorant here) if the kernel can handle the device instructions natively (albeit after a restart from another OS) then it knows how to work with the device messages one would think? Does the device just need to be kicked in the rear properly prior to X loading to perform as desired, how would that be accomplished? Hopefully the scenario about the boot and restart might give make something click?

diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Sat Dec 01, 2007 20:13

@MrMuzz

The driver works under OS X as efficiently as it does under XP/Vista. The reason it doesn't work under linux in this manner is that the driver is compiled with these features disabled by default and as explained before you'd have to recompile applying the appropriate patch following the instructions in the included README.alps file. The reason for this is also explained in my previous post.

On some (all?) ALPS hardware, it is not possible to disable tapping
unless you apply the patch below. However, some users have reported
that this patch breaks tap-and-drag operations, which is why the patch
is not included in the main alps.patch file.

diJenerate

nebulus

Postby nebulus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 18:04

@diJenerate

My mistake was not releasing how the power management was working, when unplugged, it automatically dropped the brightness down by 70%, and the gnome brightness applet was unable to raise it above this lowered limit. Changing the automatic dimming level and it all now works as expected...

As I've had time to play with the install on this device, I've given xubuntu 7.10 a try as well, and I'm happy to say it works very well too, and has a slightly more responsive desktop due to xfce's lightweightness.

Lastly grabbed an Apple bluetooth keyboard today and after a bit of hacking and googling got it working nicely, and auto detected after rebooting.
Overall very happy with the machine, now just want to get the extra sony buttons working and sort out the finicky alps pointer thing (have been waiting till I could get a decent keyboard before attempting that).

Onto some hacking up some demos using the touchscreen! Great fun!

ramthebuffs

Postby ramthebuffs » Mon Dec 10, 2007 04:04

I've been trying to figure out how to turn off the bluetooth. Apparently this is an issue with ubuntu. I found these commands to turn it off and on, the logo goes off the taskbar but the light is still on. So I'm not sure it works. Also, anyone using standard ubuntu, anywhere in the commands where it says kate, change that to nano.

Turn off bluetooth:
sudo hciconfig hci0 down
sudo rmmod hci_usb

Turn on bluetooth:
sudo modprobe hci_usb reset=1

I'm not great with linux, but I can get around a little. If anyone knows how to check if this actually works then we can add some battery life. Maybe I can teach myself how to make a script for it so I can pull off my phone when I need to.

ramthebuffs

Postby ramthebuffs » Wed Dec 12, 2007 22:30

Anyone know how to add a generic usb keyboard? I can't find any proper help anywhere for this.

ramthebuffs

Postby ramthebuffs » Fri Dec 14, 2007 22:34

Looks like turning on the numlock turns on an external keyboard FN+N

blaukakadu

Postby blaukakadu » Mon Dec 17, 2007 20:49

Dear colleagues
I am fairly new in Linux world.
I own UX90PS machine.
I have installed initially Ubuntu and then upgraded on to Kubuntu.
But there is a ptoblem with Wireless.
I was able to run wireless without problems on UBUNTU but Kubunti doens't seems to be working.
On the Wifi Radar->
it lists all netoworks available and then when I click connect it is trying to get IP adress but then fails
when i log in as root back to KDE then wifi works but as normal user on Kubuntu it doens't work?
Also the Wifi light on the Unit blinkis on Kubuntu instead of just beeing on like on Ubuntu.
Do I need other wifi manager?
Are there any compatibility problems?
Are there any diagnostic tools that could identify the problem and fix it.
Thnaks in advance.

cruxcaelifera

Postby cruxcaelifera » Mon Dec 17, 2007 22:21

On which model was this installed on? I'm thinking of buying one. Was there any issues with hibernation and and suspend? And, how is wireless performance in Ubuntu?

blaukakadu: Try wicd instead of wifi-radar.

Return to “Linux OS”