jethsmart

Postby jethsmart » Fri Jul 02, 2010 20:52

awesome.. thanks very much

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 22:11

if it is not plug and play and youneed drivers try here

http://www.atheros.cz/

that place has worked for me
Z1290X: i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 280.26/3D Vision | Intel 6230 WiFi/BT 3.0HS | Gobi Unlocked | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi
P11SKX/Bl Signature Black Crocodile
P688E/N: Gold | Gobi Unlocked | Ext Batt | VAIO Gold Mouse
UX490N: Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | Ext Batt

jethsmart

Postby jethsmart » Sat Jul 03, 2010 02:30

k appriciate that cowboy ty

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 16:29

no prob, let us know how it works out

I just ordered one like that with the dual antenna hookup... my current airport card has 3 antenna hookups and one is unhooked, I am hoping that I will get even better signal with the 2 antenna card since I only have 2 antennas

I also just ordered a Cisco Access point, I had a bunch of them once but I sold them all. I just found the patch pannel in my apartment and rewired all the phone jacks int network jacks. The stupid company that did the wires put CAT3 cable in all the rooms but it works for 100Mbps since all you need is 4 wires. It is a pretty cool bonus that all the rooms in my new place have RJ45 jacks with CAT3 running back to a patch panel in the basement. Once I rewired the pins on the jacks I had instant wired network in every room. Now I just need to wire HDMI from the equipment room to the living room and I'm set. I want to store all AV gear and servers in my giant dual gang rack. The living room will just have a projector and a couch.
Z1290X: i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 280.26/3D Vision | Intel 6230 WiFi/BT 3.0HS | Gobi Unlocked | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi

P11SKX/Bl Signature Black Crocodile

P688E/N: Gold | Gobi Unlocked | Ext Batt | VAIO Gold Mouse

UX490N: Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | Ext Batt

korngold

Postby korngold » Fri Dec 02, 2011 14:33

It seems like there were quite a few UX models going on sale on e-bay right now, so I figured that I would resurrect this post. I bought two UX280p Vaios off e-bay last week, and so far I have transplanted one WIFI card from a dead Macbook (white 13" model, A1181) into one of the UX pcs. The WIFI card from the Macbook was an Atheros model and it installed in OS X 10.6.3 on my UX 280P, and also works in XP SP2 on the same UX (set up to dual-boot). I did have to install a separate set of drivers in XP, but it worked "out of the box" in OS X. I'll try to find the XP driver pack for the Atheros card and post a link.

I just ordered a Dell 1490, which appears to use a Broadcom chip. Once that arrives, I'll try to make an install video and do a card comparison for those who may be looking to upgrade cards.

Does anyone know of a "plug & play" OSUX solution that can do WIFI "N" speeds?

anh

Postby anh » Fri Dec 02, 2011 16:15

USB Airlink101 Wireless N is the way to go, if you don't use other usb device while on the go for sometime. It works perfectly with OSX on UX. Just plug in and install driver.
Anh Nguyen
Join BidNip To Save and Win More Auctions

Notebook
SVS13A190X

Portable
VGN-UX280P
Tablet S1 16GB

korngold

Postby korngold » Fri Dec 02, 2011 16:30

Hi Anh,

I've seen some of the amazing mods you've done to the UX models--kudos on the processor transplant. I wish I had the skills to do that particular mod!

I think I'm going to replace the WIFI card simply because I think the pointer is terrible and I like to use an external mouse whenever possible.

Unless there's some sort of kext or something out there that will stop the trackpin from constantly "left clicking" in OSX. Is something like that available, or is there a setting to turn off the clicking functionality of the trackpin itself? I'd love to be able to use it while I'm on the road instead of plugging in a mouse. I used to have a Toshiba Libretto and the trackpin in that worked perfectly (didn't allow left clicking at all, you had to use the buttons for that).

bigs

Postby bigs » Fri Dec 02, 2011 20:34

korngold wrote:Hi Anh,

I've seen some of the amazing mods you've done to the UX models--kudos on the processor transplant. I wish I had the skills to do that particular mod!

I think I'm going to replace the WIFI card simply because I think the pointer is terrible and I like to use an external mouse whenever possible.

Unless there's some sort of kext or something out there that will stop the trackpin from constantly "left clicking" in OSX. Is something like that available, or is there a setting to turn off the clicking functionality of the trackpin itself? I'd love to be able to use it while I'm on the road instead of plugging in a mouse. I used to have a Toshiba Libretto and the trackpin in that worked perfectly (didn't allow left clicking at all, you had to use the buttons for that).

yes mr anh is the man.

dont quite understand your second paragraph. But from what I gather the track point on the ux without correct drivers installed will cause the constant left click bug. So far the only os that i know that allos good track point use on the ux is the windows family, osx and linux its a bit harder, and i do not know how to configure suc a driver into those os
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Sat Dec 03, 2011 00:07

What does the wifi card have to do with the joystick? There are several (non-Intel) cards that work well in OSX for networking, & if you don't have a specific OSX driver for the Alps stickpointer (joystick) then you get the "super" left clicking. However the two problems aren't related.
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

korngold

Postby korngold » Mon Dec 05, 2011 01:55

Sorry for the confusion, I frequently go off on random tangents. In this case, I mentioned the pointer because it was suggested that I use a USB wifi card. However, I need the USB port open for my external mouse in OSX, which means I need to find an alternative internal WIFI solution.

A few days ago, I swapped the original card with an Apple-branded Atheros card. The main positive to this change is that the Atheros functions in both OSX and winXP, but the range of the Atheros card is not very good in OSX. So, this afternoon I swapped it out for a Broadcom-chipped Apple WIFI card. I haven't had much time to test it yet, but I'm hoping that it will work better.

Return to “Mac OS”