DIY Gamepad Controller for the UX

Discuss Micro PC news from the front page.
danmiddle2

Homebrew gamepad / controller for the UX

Postby danmiddle2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43

I am not sure if anyone else is interested in playing games on their UX, but since I got mine I have desperately been trying to find a usable controller.

I wanted something I could use whilst holding the device which rules out mouse/keyboard and most gamepads.

The one thing I did see has been discontinued.... and it wasn't analogue anyway so would have been a compromise on what I wanted.

So last night I made my own.

I started with a Genius USB mini Gamepad and here is what I "created"... see what you think.

Dan
Attachments
204901690.jpg

danmiddle2

Postby danmiddle2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47

Sorry, had to resize pics... lets try that again!
Attachments
upload5.jpg
upload4.jpg
upload3.jpg
upload2.jpg
upload1.jpg

danmiddle2

Postby danmiddle2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:50

Basically - it still connects via the USB, but is mounted via the Compact Flash blanking card, for stability and removability (didn't want to glue anything to the UX itself :-)

The second half of the controller was removed and re-attached to the back, giving reasonable access to all 8 buttons.

I was playing UT2004 on it last night... and it works really well in combination with the integrated mouse thingy as effectively a second analogue controller.

It is much better than I'd hoped for.

If I get time later I may make a video of gameplay and post it on youtube!

pakijawan

Postby pakijawan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 14:54

hay not bad,not bad at all.I wouldn't mind one of those for my self :D
[SIZE="3"][font="Book Antiqua"]Time is running faster then you are.[/font][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][/SIZE]:cool:

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 14:58

Yeah that looks pretty cool, now I wonder how hard it is to use the controller ?

So you made that out of a controller you bought ?

Nice job !!!
Sull Support >
-XP: UX driver & app Pack v2.3 [B]Download
[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-Se7en: UX driver & application pack [/color]Download
-Guide: model.txt for XP and Vista [color=Red]Download[/color]

danmiddle2

Postby danmiddle2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 15:19

hay not bad,not bad at all.I wouldn't mind one of those for my self

Thank-you... and it was really simple to make. Any idiot could do it (as I have clearly demonstrated by doing it.. and being an idiot).

now I wonder how hard it is to use the controller

its surprisingly sturdy and easy to use... I was playing UT2004 online last night in DeathMatch mode... and coming around middle field.... which is alright for me :-). Only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is "looking around" using the mouse side of things (as in the mouse that is already integrated into the UX).

I would say that not all of the buttons are easily usable for functions you would use all the time, but there are 4 on top which are all pretty usable and four on the back of it of which I only have one assigned and that is for jump. Having said that I am slightly disadvantaged in that I am a large bloke with large hands; so more normal sized folk may find using the other buttons easier... but it gives me all the buttons I need to have a good game.

I play on my PSP a fair bit, and I would say that the analogue stick on the controller is very similar to the one built into the PSP... but overall game play in a FPS style game is better on the UX as the PSP lacks a second analogue controller (for which you can use the mouse on the UX). Oh and graphics wise the UX blows the PSP away!

So you made that out of a controller you bought ?

Yes - it started out as a "Genius MaxFire Pandora Pro Foldable Mini USB Gamepad for PC".... (catchy name!)... which I purchased for about £6.00 GBP.

I then spent an hour butchering it with a Dremel and glueing it to a compact flash blanking slot from a NavMan... and here you see the results!

Like I said earlier... I will make a video and post it to youtube and link here to help give some idea of how usable it is.....

Oh... one thing I should mention is the reason for using the CF blanking slot from a Navman and not the one that came with the UX is because the Navman one has a bigger lip... which is better for attaching the controller to... and has the unforeseen bonus of when you connect the USB cable to the UX it holds it in place a little more securely.

danmiddle2

Postby danmiddle2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 18:57

not a good video.... but should give you some idea at 00:31 seconds in as to how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOeo-nCZpVw
i will do another in better light in the next day or so..

danmiddle2

Postby danmiddle2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 17:27

this video is a little better... but I have a new found respect for anyone who can create a reasonable looking youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8HNY6bIDoc

It's really difficult to combine playing, lighting, photography.... as you will see in this one I have succeeded in none of these... but at least you can see the controller in this one.

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Sat May 03, 2008 00:07

Amazing! it's a great addition.

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sat May 03, 2008 01:02

Wow that looks great, looks like you are able to play pretty well! Definitely Medal worthy : )
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

Return to “News”