DIY Gamepad Controller for the UX

Discuss Micro PC news from the front page.
Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sat May 03, 2008 05:51

Oh I forgot to ask, which UX are you using? UX90, or UX92 maybe? Also - does the game recognize the stick part of the controller as a joy stick?
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

enterman

Postby enterman » Sat May 03, 2008 06:46

ill give u 50$ for that wonderful device! lol but seriously id pay money for that.
Want to know what games work and don't work on your UX? Read my list.
Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Sat May 03, 2008 19:13

Well I think I want to make one for myself, first the controller is super cheap 2nd does not seem that hard.

Can you please post some better pics of how you plug in the USB into UX ?

also this blank compact flash you talk about, cam I buy one of those ?

let me know :)
Sull Support >
-XP: UX driver & app Pack v2.3 [B]Download
[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-Se7en: UX driver & application pack [/color]Download
-Guide: model.txt for XP and Vista [color=Red]Download[/color]

danmiddle2

Postby danmiddle2 » Sun May 04, 2008 19:36

benz145 wrote:Wow that looks great, looks like you are able to play pretty well! Definitely Medal worthy : )

Thank-you and yes, it does work really well.

danmiddle2

Postby danmiddle2 » Sun May 04, 2008 19:45

benz145 wrote:Oh I forgot to ask, which UX are you using? UX90, or UX92 maybe? Also - does the game recognize the stick part of the controller as a joy stick?

Its a UX1XN, UK spec and yes, it does recognise it as a joystick / gamepad under both Linux and Vista (The gamepad comes with drivers for other Windows versions too).

enterman wrote:ill give u 50$ for that wonderful device! lol but seriously id pay money for that.

Thanks, but no. I will put some more detailed instructions / pics up tomorrow though.

Sull86 wrote: Well I think I want to make one for myself, first the controller is super cheap 2nd does not seem that hard.

Can you please post some better pics of how you plug in the USB into UX ?

also this blank compact flash you talk about, cam I buy one of those ?

let me know

It is really simple to make. I will get some better pics up tomorrow (as it happens I have just finished making a tiny USB cable for it.

I am not sure about getting another blanking plate. I had one lying about in my drawer.... it was for a navman GPS sleeve for an ipaq. I had several CF blanking slots lying around... and that one just seemed the best. I am sure others would do as well.

fiveseven808

Postby fiveseven808 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:01

There's no way a different version of this controller could be made with a USA version UX without the CF slot is there?
[SIZE="1"]Sony UX380N (dying)
Windows 7 Ultimate RTM Edition
2gb Sandisk Extreme III w/eboostr (ReadyBoost)

Logitech Bluetooth Mouse, Bluetooth Frog Pad, iGo Bluetooth Stowaway Keyboard, Lubix LC1 Bluetooth Stereo Headset, Battery Geek BG14-18-60 60Wh Ext Battery, 22inch Westinghouse LCD, USB2VGA with 15inch, Hardware and software KVM with Desktop[/SIZE]

danmiddle2

Postby danmiddle2 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:24

Firstly - Sorry about not getting pics up yet... I will get around to it in the next day or so, I've just got so much on.

fiveseven808 wrote:There's no way a different version of this controller could be made with a USA version UX without the CF slot is there?

The controller would work... but whether or not there is an easy way to mount the controller to the device (without out attaching it directly to the unit) is not something I can answer as I don't have access to (and have never seen in the flesh) a version without CF.

If you post some pics of the side of your device, I may be able to come up with an idea or two. The best pic I can find is this:

Is that what yours looks like from the side?

The other thought I had before I started on the CF version was to make a version that clipped into where the docking station does (Imagine the plastic back of a docking station, with a controller attached to the side.)

You could have a long straight piece of perspex going up the middle, that has a swivel mechanism near the top so that another piece of perspex swivels out to the side... to which the controller could be connected.

I am not sure how sturdy this would be for something that would be treated as aggressively as a gamepad and TBH, I probably won't make anything else now that I have a working solution for me... but I am happy to help with ideas.

There are a couple of other gamepad solutions on youtube...
Firstly;
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JhI_qBheK-w
Unfortunately this controller has been discontinued and I couldn't find one anywhere... and it's not analogue.

Secondly:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oIBJKap0nqQ
Which looks great.... but a bit big for what I want (kind of defeats the object of having such a tiny UMPC when the controller is as big, if not bigger again).

enterman

Postby enterman » Tue May 06, 2008 19:00

danmiddle2 wrote:Firstly - Sorry about not getting pics up yet... I will get around to it in the next day or so, I've just got so much on.

The controller would work... but whether or not there is an easy way to mount the controller to the device (without out attaching it directly to the unit) is not something I can answer as I don't have access to (and have never seen in the flesh) a version without CF.

If you post some pics of the side of your device, I may be able to come up with an idea or two. The best pic I can find is this:

Is that what yours looks like from the side?

The other thought I had before I started on the CF version was to make a version that clipped into where the docking station does (Imagine the plastic back of a docking station, with a controller attached to the side.)

You could have a long straight piece of perspex going up the middle, that has a swivel mechanism near the top so that another piece of perspex swivels out to the side... to which the controller could be connected.

I am not sure how sturdy this would be for something that would be treated as aggressively as a gamepad and TBH, I probably won't make anything else now that I have a working solution for me... but I am happy to help with ideas.

There are a couple of other gamepad solutions on youtube...
Firstly;
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JhI_qBheK-w
Unfortunately this controller has been discontinued and I couldn't find one anywhere... and it's not analogue.

Secondly:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oIBJKap0nqQ
Which looks great.... but a bit big for what I want (kind of defeats the object of having such a tiny UMPC when the controller is as big, if not bigger again).

thats what all US UX models look like from the side. And heres your 1st controller: http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/usb+mobile+controller+gamepad+black+pc+1191b/pid/4076176 3rd google result in a search...
Want to know what games work and don't work on your UX? Read my list.

Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

admin

DIY Gamepad Controller for the UX

Postby admin » Tue May 06, 2008 20:09

In his quest to play games more efficiently on the Vaio UX Micro PC, Micro PC Talk member danmiddle2 decided to hack the Genius MaxFire Pandora Pro USB gamepad controller and modify it to become a perfect UX accessory.Basically - it still connects via the USB, but is mounted via the Compact Flash blanking card, for stability and removability (didn't want to glue anything to the UX itself. The second half of the controller was removed and re-attached to the back, giving reasonable access to all 8 buttons.Check out the video that danmiddle2 posted at YouTube:
Read the full article.

strra

Postby strra » Wed May 07, 2008 05:03

enterman wrote:thats what all US UX models look like from the side. And heres your 1st controller: http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/usb+mobile+controller+gamepad+black+pc+1191b/pid/4076176 3rd google result in a search...

unfortunately that site doesn't sell them anymore. nowhere i can find actually does. most sites that actually offer it will cancel the order and refund the money within a day.

Return to “News”