The Sony VAIO P Series Lifestyle PC

Discuss Micro PC news from the front page.
bluewater

Postby bluewater » Tue Jan 13, 2009 19:32

well for me, practicality wise it just works better. keyboard is MUCH better then the UX, battery lifespan was a big factor too. along with the form factor, the design stands out from other netbook/subnotebooks just like the UX does with other UMPCs . also the fact that if i wanted to buy a new extended battery for the UX it would cost me almost half of what it costs to purchase the Vaio P...

plus lets face it, its a new gadget, so i gotta have it. :D but seriously the hands on time sealed the deal.

hazmat

Postby hazmat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 20:19

bluewater wrote:well for me, practicality wise it just works better. keyboard is MUCH better then the UX, battery lifespan was a big factor too. along with the form factor, the design stands out from other netbook/subnotebooks just like the UX does with other UMPCs . also the fact that if i wanted to buy a new extended battery for the UX it would cost me almost half of what it costs to purchase the Vaio P...

plus lets face it, its a new gadget, so i gotta have it. :D but seriously the hands on time sealed the deal.

I think it's a good machine...but I wouldn't jump the gun on battery life estimates just yet...but I hope they are better than the UX and more in line with less pretentious netbooks...lol.

You are right about the UX extended battery though...what a complete ripoff Sony is pulling on those...$300 or so....I remember getting one for $192 before the UX became as popular but those stocks went fast...even at that price I felt cheated.

enterman

Postby enterman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 00:53

hazmat wrote:I think it's a good machine...but I wouldn't jump the gun on battery life estimates just yet...but I hope they are better than the UX and more in line with less pretentious netbooks...lol..

just remember its a Sony machine. There battery estimates are done like this: "Lets see Bill lower it to 10% brightness in power save mode with half the process running and play that barely audible 64bitrate mp3. Ah 4 hours eh lets throw that on the site!" At least that is how the UX tests went I believe.
Want to know what games work and don't work on your UX? Read my list.
Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

bluewater

Postby bluewater » Wed Jan 14, 2009 01:30

enterman wrote:just remember its a Sony machine. There battery estimates are done like this: "Lets see bill lower it to 10% brightness in power save mode with half the process running and play that barely audible 64bitrate mp3. Ah 4 hours eh lets throw that on the site!" At least that is how the UX tests went I believe.

hehe this is also true. well apparently I'll be able to pickup the machine from the sony store at the end of the month, so once i do, i'll try to post up some battery tests.

UXtremeBiker

Postby UXtremeBiker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 06:49

Nice features on the Vaio P. The instant on and integrated GPS are nice, but I'll have to pass. I'm sure Sony is listening to the bigger part of the market but personally there's no way I'd favor this over the UX- it's not pocketable. A big no thanks on the form factor. Either I am getting a full sized laptop or I am getting a UMPC that's as close to being pocketable as possible. Which is why I have both. No in-betweens for me thank you.

What I would like to see is a new-generation UX:
> magnesium alloy chassis/ case for much improved durability (especially if it's accidentally dropped)
> screen size increased to 5" while keeping outer screen bezel dimensions the same
> make the UX a little slimmer?
> faster CPU + 2GB memory
> integrated GPS like the Vaio P?

jiyong

Postby jiyong » Wed Jan 14, 2009 08:19

UXtremeBiker wrote:Nice features on the Vaio P. The instant on and integrated GPS are nice, but I'll have to pass. I'm sure Sony is listening to the bigger part of the market but personally there's no way I'd favor this over the UX- it's not pocketable. A big no thanks on the form factor. Either I am getting a full sized laptop or I am getting a UMPC that's as close to being pocketable as possible. Which is why I have both. No in-betweens for me thank you.

> magnesium alloy chassis/ case for much improved durability (especially if it's accidentally dropped)
> screen size increased to 5" while keeping outer screen bezel dimensions the same

You forgot to add the instant on in your list?

HP also has something cool: Quicklook

I think nowadays they claim it is only available for Vista, but it seems it can work under XP too. Too bad it is MS Outlook only and not a universal solution. Otherwise it would have been a killer feature.

enterman

Postby enterman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 08:23

UXtremeBiker wrote:Nice features on the Vaio P. The instant on and integrated GPS are nice, but I'll have to pass. I'm sure Sony is listening to the bigger part of the market but personally there's no way I'd favor this over the UX- it's not pocketable. A big no thanks on the form factor. Either I am getting a full sized laptop or I am getting a UMPC that's as close to being pocketable as possible. Which is why I have both. No in-betweens for me thank you.

so basically you want a OQO Model 02+? :p jk but that does have several of what you wanted in a new ux.

Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

uxjunkie

Postby uxjunkie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 20:39

I think I'll wait before considering the P. They've already announced the 1.6Ghz in other markets. It's only a matter of time until the US gets the faster model...

Sony seems to do this with a lot of their new models, so it's better to wait it out.

enterman

Postby enterman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 20:54

uxjunkie wrote:I think I'll wait before considering the P. They've already announced the 1.6Ghz in other markets. It's only a matter of time until the US gets the faster model...

Sony seems to do this with a lot of their new models, so it's better to wait it out.

ya and even then you could always just import.

scoobie

Postby scoobie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 21:07

Not at that price I suggest

Return to “News”