Working Ready Boost MS Duo List

Talk about the hardware components of the micro PC.
sev7en

Ready Boost for not supported devices... HowTo

Postby sev7en » Sun May 20, 2007 18:29

I can confirm my 4Gb of SONY Hi-Speed Memory Stick work like a charm with Vista Business and they are supported for ready-boost feature.

Anyway I would point out this trick for not support memories...

[INDENT]1. Plug in the device. Windows Vista
2. Open the Ready Boost tab on the device properties
3. Select “Do not retest this device”
4. Unplug the device
5. Open regedit (start->run->regedit)
6. Expand - HKLM (Local Machine)-> SOFTWARE-> Microsoft-> Windows NT-> CurrentVersion-> EMDgmt
7. Find your device
8. Change Device Status to 2
9. Change ReadSpeedKBs to 1000
10. Change WriteSpeedKBs to 1000
11. Plug in the device.
12. Enable Ready Boost! :)[/INDENT]
[color="Red"]Sony VAIO VGN-UX91S - 03.04.07[/color]
[color="Orange"] OS - Windows 7 Build 7000 || iPC OSX Leopard Uni 10.5.6 || Project Fedora 10 [/color]
[color="White"]MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz ||
Nokia N93 || HTC TouchHD [/color]
--------
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Full Guide: Sony Vaio UX MacOS X Installation Guide & HowTo
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: Sony Vaio Series,Apple and...Cartoons Wallpapers!
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: "The Essential" For Any Mac User

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sun May 20, 2007 18:50

sev7en wrote:I can confirm my 4Gb of SONY Hi-Speed Memory Stick work like a charm with Vista Business and they are supported for ready-boost feature.

Anyway I would point out this trick for not support memories...[INDENT]1. Plug in the device. Windows Vista
2. Open the Ready Boost tab on the device properties
3. Select “Do not retest this device”
4. Unplug the device
5. Open regedit (start->run->regedit)
6. Expand - HKLM (Local Machine)-> SOFTWARE-> Microsoft-> Windows NT-> CurrentVersion-> EMDgmt
7. Find your device
8. Change Device Status to 2
9. Change ReadSpeedKBs to 1000
10. Change WriteSpeedKBs to 1000
11. Plug in the device.
12. Enable Ready Boost! :)[/INDENT]

From an earlier post...

Sure you can force it to use the stick for ReadyBoost, but you'll only be reducing your computers performance. Its set to only use sticks that support certain speeds, logically speeds faster then your HDD. The only reason ReadyBoost is even a valid idea for speeding up the computer is that it uses a Flash based memory device almost in place of a page file. A page file is a small space on the HDD that the computer uses like overflow RAM. So, if you have a Flash device thats faster then the read/write of your HDD (or the average HDD) then it makes more sense to put this space on the Flash device because it can write and read information faster then your HDD.

Now if you are forcing Vista to use a Flash stick thats slower then the HDD, then basically you will be using a slower version of a page file, and all this will result in is a slowed down computer. I would not recommend forcing Vista to use a stick that doesn't support speeds that it requires for ReadyBoost.
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

sev7en

Postby sev7en » Sun May 20, 2007 19:46

benz145 wrote:From an earlier post...

I know that but some pens are not well recognized by Vista but sport good performance for this feature. I suggest, instead, to try using this and if it doesn't boost enough the system to disable the feature later.
[color="Red"]Sony VAIO VGN-UX91S - 03.04.07[/color]

[color="Orange"] OS - Windows 7 Build 7000 || iPC OSX Leopard Uni 10.5.6 || Project Fedora 10 [/color]

[color="White"]MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz ||

Nokia N93 || HTC TouchHD [/color]

--------

[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Full Guide: Sony Vaio UX MacOS X Installation Guide & HowTo

[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: Sony Vaio Series,Apple and...Cartoons Wallpapers!

[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: "The Essential" For Any Mac User

GodTM

Postby GodTM » Fri Jun 15, 2007 22:04

The Sony MSX-M8GS 8GB PRO Duo card doesn't work with Readyboost.

Well... by default that is. Forced it to run it on the card, but I don't know if there will be much benefit in doing that.

Davey

Postby Davey » Tue Jun 26, 2007 19:43

GodTM wrote:The Sony MSX-M8GS 8GB PRO Duo card doesn't work with Readyboost.

Well... by default that is. Forced it to run it on the card, but I don't know if there will be much benefit in doing that.

does anyone know if this is the case

as I just forked out bucks for one - still in the pack and I only get the 280 thursday so i cannot check yet....
if it doesn't work I will ebay it!

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Tue Jun 26, 2007 21:06

I'd believe it. None of the Sony cards I tried said they would work with ReadyBoost. Unfortunately, the Sony is the only 8GB MS Pro Duo I can buy off the shelf.
MeanSquare
--------------
[color="YellowGreen"]UX390N[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1500 (1.33GHz), 1GB RAM, 32GB Solid State Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"]clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]
[color="YellowGreen"]UX90S[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1400 (1.2GHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"] clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

enterman

Postby enterman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 22:01

MeanSquare wrote:None of the Sony cards I tried said they would work with ReadyBoost.

Thats because Sandisk cards are much faster than normal Sony cards especially when put to the test. The High Speed Sony cards are virtually the same speeds as normal Sandisk cards except they cost a hell of alot more.
Want to know what games work and don't work on your UX? Read my list.
Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

Davey

Postby Davey » Tue Jun 26, 2007 22:16

oh well

if only I had read the thread before ordering.....

a man trys to research as much as possible, I have read up so much on the ux that I cannot wait to see it when it arrives.....I keep checking the fed ex tracking.....

Davey

Postby Davey » Tue Jun 26, 2007 22:17

just checked again it has landed and left the airport, might I get it a day early? :drool:

Davey

Postby Davey » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:05

I did get it a day early - good job fedex!

But the REAL reason for a post is - I just thought we need to differenciate between READYBOOSTs that work with a HDD compared to the faster FLASH drives, as ready boost only works when it is faster than the drive...

Return to “Hardware”