380 - tried 80Gb ipod drive - failed

Talk about the hardware components of the micro PC.
towmater

380 - tried 80Gb ipod drive - failed

Postby towmater » Thu Mar 15, 2007 19:53

The screws in the 380 holding the hard disk in are so tight I had to thrash the sheet metal hard drive cover to even get them loose. Once I finally got the old 40Gb free, I placed an ipod 80Gb drive in the UX. Windows setup would get to the point where it asks you to choose a partition, then adds "setup cannot use this disk"

o Attempt 1 - fresh drive from ipod
o Attempt 2 - drive formated on another PC to FAT32
o Attempt 3 - drive cleared of all partitions in another PC
o Attempt 4 - drive formatted to NTFS 4096 clusters in another PC
o Attempt 5 - drive placed back in ipod and try to install to it while connected to USB

So I have a slightly more scratched ipod and a UX that refuses to grow up.

Does anyone know how to create recovery disks in Vista? My next move is to install an OEM Tablet XP on the UX's original 40Gb drive.

johnumpc

Postby johnumpc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 19:58

I bet linux would install just fine :) In fact - you might want to consider booting Ubuntu on a livecd and using the Gpartition editor to wipe all of the partitions THEN install. I bet windows is cranky about some weird partition that linux has no problems with.
________
herbalaire

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 20:14

Thanks for the detailed information towmater. I might be getting a friends broken iPod, and if the HDD isn't dead, I might try putting it in my UX. However if you disprove that the iPod drive will work in the UX, I suppose I wont : P

Has anyone else had success using an iPod drive inside their UX?
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

Qube

Postby Qube » Thu Mar 15, 2007 20:42

So it seems only the 60GB will do.
:: [color="RoyalBlue"]Microsoft [/color][color="SlateGray"]Enterprise Deployments[/color] [color="Silver"]Engineer[/color]
:: Sony [color="DarkOrange"]UX17GP[/color] Imported from Hong Kong

towmater

Postby towmater » Thu Mar 15, 2007 21:09

Update: I tried running an XP tablet, XP home, Win2K, and Winnt install on the ipod drive in another PC, not the ux, and they all refused to work with the ipod disk, I then tried "boot and nuke" to wipe the drive and it failed with an error. Placed back in the ipod it works fine. I'm wondering if Apple has modified the drive's firmware in some way. BTW, I found the "make recovery disk" option under help & support. That program's menus don't even fit on the UX's screen...and it's a Sony program!

pek93rt

Postby pek93rt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 22:59

[color="Red"]UX280P[/color]

sev7en

Postby sev7en » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:02

towmater wrote:Update: I tried running an XP tablet, XP home, Win2K, and Winnt install on the ipod drive in another PC, not the ux, and they all refused to work with the ipod disk, I then tried "boot and nuke" to wipe the drive and it failed with an error. Placed back in the ipod it works fine. I'm wondering if Apple has modified the drive's firmware in some way. BTW, I found the "make recovery disk" option under help & support. That program's menus don't even fit on the UX's screen...and it's a Sony program!

Do you can do a scan of original UX drive with some tool as Acronis' DiskDirector? I am telling you that because they are some "unofficial" file-format type as the AF for OSX system which figure as "ext3" but they aren't so that.
[color="Red"]Sony VAIO VGN-UX91S - 03.04.07[/color]
[color="Orange"] OS - Windows 7 Build 7000 || iPC OSX Leopard Uni 10.5.6 || Project Fedora 10 [/color]
[color="White"]MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz ||
Nokia N93 || HTC TouchHD [/color]
--------
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Full Guide: Sony Vaio UX MacOS X Installation Guide & HowTo
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: Sony Vaio Series,Apple and...Cartoons Wallpapers!
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: "The Essential" For Any Mac User

KuhnP

Postby KuhnP » Mon Mar 19, 2007 22:05

should try out this harddrive, should be cleared and not locked to apple. Sorry gotta repost this. My alias was banned PEK93RT.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=T80MK8009H&c=pw

ecsw

Postby ecsw » Tue Oct 30, 2007 16:59

Should have made this sticky.
I tried and failed too. Mine is a MK8010GAH. As long as you try to access the partition information. It will stop you from going further. :(

Tried XP install, UX restore, Partition Magic 8, etc.
I guess Vista/linux is the next try.

ecsw

Postby ecsw » Tue Oct 30, 2007 21:32

-Tried lower level format from maxtor HD utility. It formatted, but still not able to work while accessing partition information.
-Tried PM8 for DOS, not able to see the drive.
-Tried Linux fdisk which actually see the drive, but give out warning the cylinder is way bigger than 1024 normal size which will not work with older OS. DOS FDISK works after linux partition is created, but can not create new primary or extended partition.
-Tried Vista. It works all the way to the point of seleting partition then it give out message of impossible to write to partition.
-Tried Max OS 10.4 cracked and it won't go on. (could be my scratched DVD)

Return to “Hardware”