The Ultimate UX Price Post *2/20/08*

Talk about the hardware components of the micro PC.
apeguero

Postby apeguero » Tue Feb 26, 2008 04:18

Got my UX380N from eBay's Buy It Now @ $930 brand new in sealed box. The price included next day air. Love it so far and I have followed many of the suggestions here especially the install Vista minus the bloatware. Works like charm even with NAV running. Now I'll wait for my ShieldZone screen protector before I start using heavily. I am using my wireless Mighty Mouse with it too. First real project will be to replace the HDD with either an 80/100 gig HDD or a flash drive. Hey Benz, where's the link for the flash drive mod? I can't find it.

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 04:33

apeguero wrote:Got my UX380N from eBay's Buy It Now @ $930 brand new in sealed box. The price included next day air. Love it so far and I have followed many of the suggestions here especially the install Vista minus the bloatware. Works like charm even with NAV running. Now I'll wait for my ShieldZone screen protector before I start using heavily. I am using my wireless Mighty Mouse with it too. First real project will be to replace the HDD with either an 80/100 gig HDD or a flash drive. Hey Benz, where's the link for the flash drive mod? I can't find it.

There should be some info around, try the search, no one thread in particular sticks out in my mind. All you need is a 1.8" SSD, and make sure it has the right connector for the inside of the UX (ZIF [Zero Insertion Force]), then its just a matter of following one of the HDD upgrade guides to take apart the UX and put in the SSD.
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Tue Feb 26, 2008 04:38

apeguero wrote:. Now I'll wait for my ShieldZone screen protector before I start using heavily.

Have a back up plan for the Shield Zone ...the product is great but I found it bluured the screen noticebly ... also VERY difficult to put on without getting dust underneath.

I tossed mine and put a Sony VGP-FLS8 on my 280

Dart

Postby Dart » Tue Feb 26, 2008 04:41

When applying screen protectors, I find it's helpful to apply them in a steamy (very humid room). The steam usually keep the air clean from dust. Still... it's hard to do.

The ShieldZone protectors would definitely lower quality... and Sony screens are so gorgeous.

apeguero

Postby apeguero » Tue Feb 26, 2008 15:42

Oh well. I've been using their protectors for a while now. I use them on both mine and my wife's iPhones and they work pretty good. I'll take your advise and prepare myself to be let down in case the image quality goes down. When installing these, I clean the screen with a product called iKlear which I bought at the Apple Store. I wipe it with the nice microfiber cloth that came with iKlear. I then spray it with compressed air and hold my breath, really, I do :) I spray the ShieldZone with the spray that's in their kit and then take my time applying it. If a dust particle makes it then I just pull it off, spray it more to remove the dust and re-apply. So far I've done this on my iPhones (2), old iPod, PSP, and Canon 40D and am pretty happy with it. But if it does blur it a bit then I'll have to go with something else. What do you guys use? The Sony one?

BTW, finally showed my UX380 to my wife last night. She was asking why I got it when I could do all my surfing in the iPhone. I then opened a spreadsheet and word doc in Office 2007 as well as Streets & Trips 2006 and MS Money 2007. It was at that point that she appreciated the power of this little computer. I work from home, so this little computer should allow me to work from basically anywhere which I'm sure she and the kids will appreciate ;)

riredale

Postby riredale » Tue Feb 26, 2008 18:09

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Tue Feb 26, 2008 18:11

apeguero wrote:Oh well. I've been using their protectors for a while now. I use them on both mine and my wife's iPhones and they work pretty good. I'll take your advise and prepare myself to be let down in case the image quality goes down. When installing these, I clean the screen with a product called iKlear which I bought at the Apple Store. I wipe it with the nice microfiber cloth that came with iKlear. I then spray it with compressed air and hold my breath, really, I do :) I spray the ShieldZone with the spray that's in their kit and then take my time applying it. If a dust particle makes it then I just pull it off, spray it more to remove the dust and re-apply.

My patiance or skill level could be a factor too ... I tried mine 3 times and got a new dust spot every time ... finally I got it good enough and the blurriness made smaller fonts unreadable .. it was REALLY bad the first day but even after the micro bubbles disapeared it was not good enough.

I complained and they sent me a new one .. I was thinking of cutting it up to fit my sony W810i phone ... but haven't bothered yet.

twonth

extended battery

Postby twonth » Mon Mar 03, 2008 21:08

Hi all,

Just noticed that laptopsinc.com has the UX extended battery on clearance:

http://laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VGPBPL6&Category_Code=CC1

I haven't ordered anything from these people so I can't vouch for their reliability. But I thought I'd point this out seeing as the price ($200) is a fair amount less than what's found in the opening price post.

Best regards, Paul

vaiofreak

Postby vaiofreak » Sat Mar 15, 2008 01:41

[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]Hey guys,
I noticed that SonyStyle.com has reduced prices on Refurb notebooks, and currently they are running 10% of all VAIOs, and with another 10% off code[AFFB10] one can save even more! VAIO UX390N with SSD drive comes down to $1190 plus Free Shipping! I got my VAIO TZ with SSD today and loving it, on Monday UX490NC is arriving. I will have both VAIOs race against each other with their SSD drives...[/SIZE][/font]
L8ER!

thetruth1983

Postby thetruth1983 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 04:44

I don't know if there was a recent price drop or just a misprint, but amazon.com has the 490 on sale for only $1999! If I did not have a 380N, I would be all over this. I also noticed that their 390N has jumped to 2299!

Return to “Hardware”