Replacing UX's WWAN (EDGE) module with CF slot

Talk about the hardware components of the micro PC.
computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 02:17

chiefwigms wrote:2) Could you use the WWAN antenna for the 3rd antenna if adding a n wlan card? Not sure if it is designed for the same frequencies

You can connect it. The connector is the same (U.FL), I know it has been connected by another forum member. The problem is the frequency, the WWAN is designed for 850Mhz/1800Mhz/1900Mhz that is a few Ghz off from 802.11N.

I have a U.FL -> RP-SMA pigtail on order. I am planning on adding an external RP-SMA port to my UX for the 3rd antenna. With this connector I will be able to add a wide variety of RP-SMA rubber duck type antennas to the UX. I could also connect a Yagi antenna or any other unidirectional variation.
Z1290X: i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 280.26/3D Vision | Intel 6230 WiFi/BT 3.0HS | Gobi Unlocked | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi
P11SKX/Bl Signature Black Crocodile
P688E/N: Gold | Gobi Unlocked | Ext Batt | VAIO Gold Mouse
UX490N: Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | Ext Batt

hcpass

Postby hcpass » Sat Apr 11, 2009 09:23

jasonkimberson wrote:btw, i did this CW mod, and man, those pics that technogeek took were VERY VERY BAD. I cant see a thing he is doing. And you dont need to unplug the HD or the Wireless card, you can just unscrew, and jiggle out the motherboard, unplug the lcd screen, and then unscrew the WWAN card.

make sure you dont forget to move the theremo paste on the wwan card to your new cf reader frame. I took pics and will post them on a blog site or something later when i have time. They will be in 8MP so you can see what the UX looked like before and after the install....... and for SSD drives (for those who want to remove it, i dont think there is a flap thing that flips up, just unplug the drive accordingly, the only tabs that flip up i think are grey and not whiteish.

Hello,

How about your Pics and Blog?

Thanks

Stephane.

1415gateway

Postby 1415gateway » Thu Jul 09, 2009 19:13

anyone here know how to do this mode? i would like to have it done then i can use diys game controller which i would also like to be made for me. ill pay a good price so anyone?ill pay whomever and when u have the parts ill send my ux of course most be an experience modder

Stheno

Postby Stheno » Thu Sep 17, 2009 05:14

Is the connections used by the wwan and CF reader carry standard USB lines? (2 data, ground and +5v or is that +3v)

I want to know if it might be possible to hack in other devices.

I guess nvm about the connections in the way I asked, but.....any idea what the lines are? I see a group of 9 separate lines on the card side of the ribbon but some share pins on the zif connector. Whereas there are far more on the other end and some don't terminate to anything.

If this is a USB type device, what could the 9 lines translate to?

Also is there any other OEM devices for this spot? like a SDHC reader or anything else?

TabbedOut

Postby TabbedOut » Wed Dec 16, 2009 00:44

Just finished this mod and am very pleased. I also replaced the thermal compound that sony gobbed on with AS5 and dropped my temps by ~4c (37c vs 41c and I can hardly hear my fan)! The unit also feels noticeably lighter as well.

ozkaya

Postby ozkaya » Wed Dec 16, 2009 06:44

welcome to the terrible speed CF card on UX club then :)
UX91S (HDD version)
16 gb Memory Stick Pro Duo
32 gb Compact Flash Card
Vodafone k3520 hsdpa modem / fried one of them, one left../yeah! buried the other in..
Windows 7

TabbedOut

Postby TabbedOut » Wed Dec 16, 2009 13:20

What speeds are you seeing with your 32gb card? I ordered one, and the only card that I've got here is a SLOW 1gb Toshiba. Using HDTune on the UX I'm getting about 0.8mb/s and on my laptop through a PCMCIA CF adapter I'm getting 0.9mb/s. I was planning on using the 32gb card as music storage so I suppose speed really doesn't matter much anyway.

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Wed Dec 16, 2009 14:16

TabbedOut wrote:What speeds are you seeing with your 32gb card? I ordered one, and the only card that I've got here is a SLOW 1gb Toshiba. Using HDTune on the UX I'm getting about 0.8mb/s and on my laptop through a PCMCIA CF adapter I'm getting 0.9mb/s. I was planning on using the 32gb card as music storage so I suppose speed really doesn't matter much anyway.

It will be fine for music ... but not so good for video

ozkaya

Postby ozkaya » Wed Dec 16, 2009 19:10

TabbedOut wrote:What speeds are you seeing with your 32gb card? I ordered one, and the only card that I've got here is a SLOW 1gb Toshiba. Using HDTune on the UX I'm getting about 0.8mb/s and on my laptop through a PCMCIA CF adapter I'm getting 0.9mb/s. I was planning on using the 32gb card as music storage so I suppose speed really doesn't matter much anyway.

I get about same as yours, 800 to 900 kb/s with internal reader, I can get 20 mb/s with an external reader though. I use my memory stick for music and video because even music stutters sometimes and if not system is not very responsive compared to not using CF card. I use the CF card as a backup for my office files, so that I can always have access to them if I need them on the go. I basically keep the CF card disabled under Device Manager (by disabling the PCMCIA Adapter) so that it doesn't steal any CPU cycles and enable it when I need my office files.

Just go with the cheapest CF card for the UX, you won't get any ultra dma or something anyway.
UX91S (HDD version)

16 gb Memory Stick Pro Duo

32 gb Compact Flash Card

Vodafone k3520 hsdpa modem / fried one of them, one left../yeah! buried the other in..

Windows 7

frufrmme

Postby frufrmme » Sat Feb 27, 2010 03:45

will this work on a ux390? I have installed it on my ux390n and I put a 4gig CF card in and all i see is "pcmcia ide/atapi controller"

Return to “Hardware”