Games that work on the UX

Talk about software for the micro PC.
darkerx

Postby darkerx » Fri Nov 06, 2009 19:45

...there are 120gb hdd and/or 128gb ssd...
UX490: 'Anh's Design'=U7700/ 128gbssd/ quad-boot(MacosX/W7/Vista/XP)/ cellphone-voice /7.2mbps modem
UX280P: overclocked prototype of the 490
UX1XN: stock=>TVset for my 22 months old daughter
3 Jornada HP728/HP 720: gps/wifi/webcam/etc. dead/closed architecture

oblivioner

Postby oblivioner » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:42

Yeah but I'm really bad with hardware replacement and installing everything again, and besides those are quite expensive.

A few more:

max payne 2: Weird, it can go full speed with everything high, however it suffers from some very random slowdowns that make it unplayable.

outrun coast 2 coast[/B]: can't get ingame.

Alien vs Predator 2: Works ok

Doom 3: Slow, barely playable at times.

Baldurs Gate 2: works really well.

Crayon Physics: works great, nice game.

Is there any way to map the 'capture' button into another function? it's in a really good position to be used for fire button for example, and I don't intend to use it that much.

Also, sorry for my ignorance, but the ux 380n comes with an antenna but no modem, is there any easy way to install a hsdpa modem for it?

Besides, I've seen the extended battery on ebay, can anyone tell how much weight does it add to the ux?

cimino

Postby cimino » Sat Nov 07, 2009 18:21

This has possibly been mentioned before, but I find a utility called Game Booster very useful. It temporarily shuts down non-critical services and processes which frees up RAM (about 250MB for me) and improves game/application performance.

@oblivioner
I know of no way of remapping the capture button. It would probably requiring hacking the event service software.

The 380N does come with a modem, but it's a painfully slow EDGE device. Check the hardware forum for a couple of mods where people have crammed a USB 3G modem inside. Personally, I'm happy tethering my UX to my cellphone over bluetooth.

The extended battery pretty much weighs twice what the standard does (4 cells vs 2 cells).

kiz

Postby kiz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 20:48

i am able to change resoltuion to 1024x768 with scrolling in xp by unchecking the hide modes in the advanced display settings , but this option is greyed out in vista

oblivioner

Postby oblivioner » Thu Nov 12, 2009 15:20

Thanks for the info cimino, I'll try the game booster to see how it does.

A pity about remapping the special keys, I have tried autohotkey but it doesn't work sadly, maybe I will ask in the software forum to see if someone knows something I don't.

oblivioner

Postby oblivioner » Fri Nov 13, 2009 16:22

Wow I have to say I didn't think it would really make a difference, but the GameBooster thing really worked well with Dungeons and Dragons Online. Even with everything low it was rather slow in the city, and took ages both to get ingame and, once ingame, to load all textures and start getting more less playable frames.

I tried it with DDO today and to my surprise, first the game loaded a lot faster, and then ingame it all played at good fps from the get go in the same place, and I'm even feeling tempted to pump up textures and stuff to see how it does, nice!

Also, tried again Doom 3 with GameBooster on and this patch for GMA950 : http://malloc.hotbox.ru/GMAfix_for_Doom3.zip and I can get Doom 3 to work really well at 640x480 with everything on. The beginning gives very low frames due to the big ship, but inside the buildings it's much more playable.

Tales of Monkey Island still doesn't work even with 3danalyze, sadly.

Tried Braid again to see how the GameBooster works with it, and sadly it performs exactly the same. Also tried Monkey Island Special Edition and no improvement.

oblivioner

Postby oblivioner » Fri Nov 13, 2009 17:40

Tested also Machinarium and World of Goo and both work great

oblivioner

Postby oblivioner » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37

Well I just recieved my 16gb microsdhc and the MS adapter so I've some more free space and tried a few games:

Sam and Max from Telltale games works great.

Stalker shadow of chernobyl also works really well. Patch it to 0005, everything to minimum and added this command line:

"C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe" -noprefetch -noshadows

It works without 3danalyze. Also I had game mode on Game Booster turned on. It works at 1024x600.

Impressively, class 6 microsdhc works amazingly well for games. I tried Baldurs Gate 2 and Dungeons and Dragons Online worked flawlessly, and I didn't notive any speed differences, something quite surprising since it's a very demanding game on the UX. Besides maybe it could improve battery life since flash cards use less battery than HDD.

I did a battery test with the extended battery the other day and DDO lasted almost 2 hours and a half with wifi and BT on, nice :)

Tried also Tales of Monkey Island, worked but way too slow, also Gothic 3 and Penumbra didn't work.

I'll check some more games later and post about them.

ozkaya

Postby ozkaya » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47

good input, I was wondering about Tales of Monkey Island too, thanks :)
UX91S (HDD version)
16 gb Memory Stick Pro Duo
32 gb Compact Flash Card
Vodafone k3520 hsdpa modem / fried one of them, one left../yeah! buried the other in..
Windows 7

souljaboy112

Postby souljaboy112 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 15:22

how well is ur stalker runnin ?

i tried clear sky but it was like 3-4fps on worst settings.... does the noshadow command help so much ?
hTC HD2

Return to “Software”