VAIO Touch Launcher Background Change

Talk about software for the micro PC.
Benz145

VAIO Touch Launcher Hacks (background change, and multiple Touch Launcher pages)

Postby Benz145 » Wed May 30, 2007 22:33

Well I've always been looking for a way to do this, but never really got around to looking at it. I was browsing around looking for some settings in the Sony folder to adjust for my UX180 which just recently got back to me from repairs. Anyway, I looking into the VAIO Touch Launcher folder, and noticed another folder called "Picture" it has the different backgrounds that you can use with the Touch Launcher, which are very basic. I wanted to give my touch launcher some nice looking background, so I did a little bit of testing, and the following will tell you how to change the background of your touch launcher. I've also included a set of Background Images from the pictures on this post if anyone is interested (see more toward the bottom of the post):

Landscape Background
(1024x600)

• Go to C: > Program Files > Sony > VAIO Touch Launcher
  • Double Click the "Picture" folder
Note: Disregard the images right inside the "Picture" folder they are simply thumbnails, the only images we are concerned about are the ones within the "Height" and "Width" folders.
  • To make a new background for a landscape orientation (1024 x 600), go into the "Width" folder
  • Pick one of the default images to edit (I choose red because its almost entirely black)
  • The easiest way to make a new background, is to right click on one of the three default images, then open it with paint
  • Once in paint, make whatever changes you would like to the image, including replacing it with a new image
  • When you are finished, simply save your file, I would recommend a .bmp format for high quality (do not rename it, it must keep the default name)
  • Launch the Touch Launcher, and click the Wrench in the upper right hand corner
  • Find the "Change Background" button, then select the background according to which you edited
  • Viola! Your new background should correctly show up when you launch the Touch Launcher
Note: Making a new image in paint with the right size requirements (1024 x 600 for landscape, or 600 x 1024 for portrait) then naming it one of the default three backgrounds, and sticking it in the correct folder will not work. There is some sort of data within the default images files that contains the button graphics for the Touch Launcher. Not editing one of the original pictures will result in a Touch Launcher with only icons, but missing the main button graphics.

Portrait Background

[size=75](600x1024)
[/SIZE][align=left]
  • Simply follow all the steps for the Landscape Background change, however edit the picture in the "Height" folder instead of "Width"
Note: Make sure that the default image that you edit is the same as the one you edited in the opposite (Height, or Width) folder. For example, if you edited the image titled "Red" in the "Width" folder, make sure you edit the "Red" image in the "Height" folder.

The first few backgrounds I threw together were of one of the most anticipated games coming out - Halo 3, I'm a big Halo fan, so the choice was obvious. Here are a few different ones that I made: (sorry for the wide post, I wanted people to be able to see the pictures in high quality, I think they look great :D)

Then I decided that it was time to get creative. I thought for a bit about what would be a good theme for a wide and tall picture, then I finally settled on something. I think you'll agree with me that it looks very nice :D!

And the "Height" picture -

If anyone would like the Waterfall backgrounds, I zipped them, and uploaded them for anyone to use. (I didn't take the pictures, and I'm not taking credit for them). Here is the link to download them - http://www.box.net/shared/1hj92okfxd

Here is what to do to set them as your backgrounds:
  • Go to C: > Program Files > Sony > VAIO Touch Launcher > Pictures
  • Put the images in either the "Width" or "Height" folders (I specified which file is which in the file name)
  • Rename both files to one of the default file names after you placed them in the correct folders
Note: Default file names are: "Green", "Red", or "Blue"
  • Make sure your Background Image is set to the same file as the name you chose
  • Open your Touch Launcher in Landscape and Portrait modes to test, and everything should be set to go, enjoy your new backgrounds
If anyone has taken this information and used it to change their backgrounds, please share with us on this thread!
____________________________________________________________________________________________

[align=center]Giant's 4 Page Touch Launcher Hack[align=left]To have 4 different Touch Screen Launchers you need to do the following for each of your 4 Touch Launcher Screens (red,blue,green & black):
  • Open Touch Launcher - Go into the settings menu (little wrench icon) and change all nine buttons to launch the programs you want, then choose the background color for that page (this will be page one)
[align=center]Image
(settings button)

(settings panel)

• Copy c:\documents and settings\admin\application data\sony corporation\vaio touch launcher\ApplicationData.dat and paste to the same directory, rename it one.dat (do steps 1 & 2 three more times for two, three and four.dat, these will make up your four pages)
  • Put the attached one.bat, two.bat, three.bat, four.bat files into the "c:\documents and settings\admin\application data\sony corporation\vaio touch launcher\" directory
  • Make a shortcut on your desktop to each .bat (or use UXBB, search the forums for it)
  • Click either one, two, three or four shortcut depending which launcher menu you wish to see and click the Touch Launcher Button OR use one,two,three or four "clicks" of UXBB.
  • This hack is a "switch" for the Touch Launcher should you wish to just click a shortcut to get to that menu straight away then edit each .bat by typing in this at the bottom: "c:\Program Files\Sony\Vaio Touch Launcher\VTLauncherMain.exe" (include quotes)
Each .bat can be edited by any text editor.

If nervous about running .bat files, then you can save, extract from zip and choose each one and check what is inside.

[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
Attachments
Touch Launcher Hack.zip
(819 Bytes) Downloaded 234 times
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

giant

Nice hack well explained

Postby giant » Thu May 31, 2007 01:01

I tried this a while ago myself and found that when on the move it was harder to see the touch launcher buttons so I abandoned it. That is also why I want to write my own Super Touch Launcher.

It is however an easy hack and adds some life to the Touch Launcher......great effort by you to take the time to help everyone.
Sony UX50 - Japanese OS

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Thu May 31, 2007 02:53

giant wrote:I tried this a while ago myself and found that when on the move it was harder to see the touch launcher buttons so I abandoned it. That is also why I want to write my own Super Touch Launcher.

It is however an easy hack and adds some life to the Touch Launcher......great effort by you to take the time to help everyone.

Easy to hack? Lets see some cool functionality built into the Touch Launcher!

Virtual Reality Blog

Personal Blog

Editor for:

UltrabookNews.com

Carrypad.com

UMPCPortal.com

giant

Re: easy hack

Postby giant » Thu May 31, 2007 04:37

Oops - I didn't mean anything by the comment - I meant relative to downgrading and upgrading a PSP or fixing the dual screen issue in ubuntu (or getting ADSL working with my #$@$@#$ modem with ubuntu - which I did do after 5 hours of effort).:D

I have Japanese Windows Xp Home and have converted apps such as the touch launcher, camera capture and camera utlility to english and they are easier hacks than yours above though.;)
Sony UX50 - Japanese OS

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Thu May 31, 2007 05:03

Doh : (

Well how about this Super Launcher you have been talking about. Like I said, the GUI in that video that you posted was very smooth and cool looking, you should try going in that direction. Speaking of, where can I get the Distro that the person in that video was using? I'd like to tool around with it if its even a released version yet. Maybe you can mesh the VAIO Touch Launcher and Origami into one giving us things like Windows Media Player control inside of the Touch Launcher. I'm really interested to see some work from you : )

Virtual Reality Blog

Personal Blog

Editor for:

UltrabookNews.com

Carrypad.com

UMPCPortal.com

giant

I answered this in another thread

Postby giant » Thu May 31, 2007 05:09

Please check that thread - also lets make it somewhat unique just for us UX guys.
Sony UX50 - Japanese OS

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Thu May 31, 2007 05:13

We'll have to think of a snazzy name for it, maybe it will give us inspiration for its design! ; D

Virtual Reality Blog

Personal Blog

Editor for:

UltrabookNews.com

Carrypad.com

UMPCPortal.com

sev7en

Postby sev7en » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:22

Nice find benz!
[color="Red"]Sony VAIO VGN-UX91S - 03.04.07[/color]
[color="Orange"] OS - Windows 7 Build 7000 || iPC OSX Leopard Uni 10.5.6 || Project Fedora 10 [/color]
[color="White"]MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz ||
Nokia N93 || HTC TouchHD [/color]
--------
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Full Guide: Sony Vaio UX MacOS X Installation Guide & HowTo
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: Sony Vaio Series,Apple and...Cartoons Wallpapers!
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: "The Essential" For Any Mac User

fishcube

Postby fishcube » Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:49

How many have changed their background for the launcher. I would love to try this.

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 03:46

I always changed mine.. did it automatically with my "home made" recovery CD :)
Sull Support >
-XP: UX driver & app Pack v2.3 [B]Download
[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-Se7en: UX driver & application pack [/color]Download
-Guide: model.txt for XP and Vista [color=Red]Download[/color]

Return to “Software”