Sony UX380 + Widescreen LCD monitor = Success!!!

Talk about software for the micro PC.
shinji

Sony UX380 + Widescreen LCD monitor = Success!!!

Postby shinji » Mon Jun 04, 2007 05:02

Hi guys,

I recently purchased the HP w2007 20.1" widescreen lcd monitor for my UX. However, I did not do enough research on the maximum external monitor resolution of the UX (to be precise the Intel 945GM chipset) before the purchase. I ended up scratching my head the whole day trying to figure out whats going on. The lcd monitor has a native resolution of 1680x1050 but the UX can only go up to 1400x1050 for widescreen resolution (thats what i see in the display setting).

With the 1400x1050, everything is stretched and looked all weird. I tried many solutions mentioned on the internet with no go. Then I came across a forum section on Intel website where ppl discuss on programmable resolutions in G965. They modify the DTD in the Intel video driver with the exact EDID of the monitor. Here is the link: http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/community/en-us/forums/5/30232721/showthread.aspx

I followed the step given by archibael. Here is the link: http://isnwiki.jot.com/WikiHome/Articles/111111431

The EDID that I put in corresponds to 1680x1050. However, after going through all these, I saw an extra option of 1920x1080 under the display setting tab instead. But my monitor doesnt support that resolution. Then I played around with the EDID that I modify in the igdlh.inf. Look at archibael's page to find the bytes corresponding to the resolution, its pretty simple. I changed it to 1676x1048 (in hex 68C and 418) and reboot. Guess what, that particular resolution showed up and it worked flawlessly!!! Text and icons are crystal clear without any distortion. I attached a print screen here as well. I tested extended screen function and docking setting, and they all seem fine with no ill effect.

I have seen another person on the forum tweaking the driver in the same way for his toshiba laptop with the 945GM chipset. Ppl have been reporting that some computer from Sony, Dell, and Toshiba has specified certain resolutions not being available and it is all in the BIOS. Nobody knows why they are doing this though.

Anwayz, sorry for the long message and I know that the steps seem complicated. But trust me its not that hard after all.

<1.>
Run MonInfo to get the raw EDID
Download here: http://entechtaiwan.net/util/moninfo.shtm

<2.>
Find the descriptor block in the raw EDID

<3.>
Grab the latest video driver from Intel
Download here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=2300&DwnldID=13186&strOSs=154&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%20Business,%2032-bit%20version&lang=eng

<4.>
Extract the zip file and open igdlh.inf with wordpad. The file should be in the graphics folder. Modify the DTD according to archibael's instruction.

<5.>
Update the video driver under display settling/advanced settings/adapter/properties/driver/update driver//browse my computer.../Let me pick from a list....../browse the modified igdlh.inf

<6.>
While installing, vista will prompt you for "no digital signature". Just choose install anyways.

<7.>
After reboot, go to the display setting and enjoy your gorgeous widescreen lcd monitor!!!

I know there are plenty of ppl looking to use their UX with a widescreen monitor. And here is a possible solution before Sony releases a new video BIOS/driver updates to support widescreen resolution, hopefully :) . Hope you guys find this helpful. PM me if you have any question, I will try to response asap.

All credit given to archibael for his great work!!
Attachments
desktop.jpg

outie

Postby outie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 06:32

Very nice. Thanks for putting the guide together. I am sure a lot of people will benefit from this.

ux4ever

Postby ux4ever » Mon Jun 04, 2007 17:13

well nice work from both of you.

would you 1st please provide us the proper link to archibaels instructions and secondly the modified driver for us lazy ones? :rolleyes:

just would be great :cool:

shinji

Postby shinji » Mon Jun 04, 2007 19:26

The link to archibael's instruction is as mentioned. Sometimes it takes a while to load though. Here it is anways: http://isnwiki.jot.com/WikiHome/Articles/111111431

Since different monitor/manufacturer has different EDID, I cant just make a generic driver that works for everyone. You have to run Moninfo to get your specific EDID and use that to modify the driver.

shinji

Postby shinji » Mon Jun 04, 2007 19:37

If you have problem accessing the page, here is the word file of the article.
Attachments
article.zip
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

ux4ever

Postby ux4ever » Mon Jun 04, 2007 20:02

shinji wrote:The link to archibael's instruction is as mentioned. Sometimes it takes a while to load though. Here it is anways: http://isnwiki.jot.com/WikiHome/Articles/111111431

Since different monitor/manufacturer has different EDID, I cant just make a generic driver that works for everyone. You have to run Moninfo to get your specific EDID and use that to modify the driver.

..definitely, not just lazy but also inexcusably inattentive :o

Robyn

Postby Robyn » Mon Jun 04, 2007 21:20

Although I have been working with and using computers since the mid to late '60's, I ave always approached them somewhat as one might approach a hammer...as a tool, to be used to accomplish certain ends.

I notice that many here on this board take great delight in tweaking their UMPC's, installing various operating systems, modifying them and generally playing with their innards!

I have neither the time nor the patience to delve through reams of paper and instructions to make something work. I most wholeheartedly believe in the "plug and play" pholosophy.

That said, I am in the market for a 19" widescreen LCD monitor to be used with my UX280p, but do not want to go through hell tring to make it work, tweak drivers, etc.

Anyone who might have a suggestion for a particular brand/model that might be suitable, please let me know.

Thanks.
UX280p running XP
Stowaway Keyboard
Targus wireless mouse and number pad
Sony DVD Drive
22" Wide Screen monitor / 1080p HDTV
HP Laser printer and Lexmark photo printer

Former Rocket Scientist (Apollo and Gemini) :cool:

outie

Postby outie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 05:28

Just wondering if anyone tried this method on a Dell 2407 24" 1900x1200 widescreen yet? Does text look blurry or sharp? Thanks.

giant

Me too!

Postby giant » Tue Jun 05, 2007 05:31

I also agree - a list of what works AND DOES NOT WORK would be great.

I have two 22inch monitors made by Chimei and Acer respectively at work and will contribute my findings tomorrow.

I only use a non wide-screen monitor currently at home.
Sony UX50 - Japanese OS

srong887

Postby srong887 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 21:29

trying this now on my Dell 24" 2405 Widescreen.. Will report back shortly.

Return to “Software”