Talk about software for the micro PC.
Benz145

Quick Wheel Touch Screen Launcher Beta

Postby Benz145 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 20:21

Quick Wheel
Touch Screen Launcher Beta
[size=84][Discontinued Project]

[/SIZE]

[color="Orange"]Update (2/23/09) - My apologies for letting the link be down for some time. The mirror is back up and should stay up! Thanks for all of you who have had continued interest in this program. Use the download link below to download the Quick Wheel v1.2 beta.[/color]

Hello everyone, I've been working with NeoTechni over the passed few weeks on a new application specifically targeted at Touch Screen use, and mostly designed for UMPC/Tablet PCs. NeoTechni, the genius who brought you Mobile Home, the Origami Clone for XP has been kind enough to help turn my concept into reality by coding it. We've been talking back and forth in an attempt to help tune the application, but now we need some more widespread testing. So I'm releasing a beta for people to use and hopefully report to us bugs and feedback so that we can make it even better.

Download Quick Wheel
Beta Version 1.2
(9/27/07)

Extract all files before using

Let me start off by giving you an idea of what Quick Wheel is, and how it is used. Quick Wheel is a touch screen application launcher at the moment only for XP (sorry, you can try but Vista doesn't seem to like it). I was very disappointed at what other touch screen launchers brought to the table. In most cases, you had to launch the launcher, then find your way to the application that you wanted. By the time the launcher loaded, you could have manually launched the application making the entire concept of a launcher pointless. So I really wanted to have a launcher that was always open, but didn't take up many resources. I'm happy to report that the entire Quick Wheel Beta package is only about 900kb, and takes up approximately 3MB of RAM while in use, to put that into context Firefox which I'm using at the moment is using around 90MB of RAM.

So having an always running system, and keeping it very lite was an important characteristic that I had in mind when coming up with the application, I also wanted it to be very fast and easy to use. I was bothered by the way that the Touch Launcher included with the Sony UX worked. First of all, it took a few seconds to load, and second once you clicked the operation that you wanted to do, there was a few seconds where the application waited to execute your selection to give you time to verify that you clicked the correct item. So I designed the application in a way that you would be certain what you selected, and it could be done very quickly.

And last but definitely not least, I wanted to engage the user in touch screen input. Not being a big touch screen person myself, I wanted to find a way that was fun, but kept the application quick and practical. I can't promise everyone will like the application, but I'm very satisfied with it, and I'm very thankful that NeoTechni has taken time to help me with this project. So, without further ado lets take a look at the application itself.

[align=left]This is basically the entire Quick Wheel interface. I'll explain how it works shortly. But it should be noted that we have a slightly off sized background graphic which is causing the little bit of graphical corruption that you'll see when you are running the application. This is only effecting the background image and doesn't effect the performance of the application itself, and will be fixed when we get the background image to be the exact size that it needs to be. The background is designed for any UMPC with height of 600 pixels, but fear not, anyone running Windows XP should be able to run this application as the app will scale to fit your screen. But right now those of you using smaller or larger screens will have a scaled graphic which won't look as good ; D. Future releases could very well include backgrounds designed for all the common resolutions so that all can enjoy the smooth crisp lines of the background graphic generously created by Rorschach of the MPCT forums. But for the time being you'll have to deal with scaling.

[align=center]Image

[align=left]For the sake of being able to talk about the application, I've named the different areas -
  1. Launch Box - this is where you will rotate the icon of the application or folder that you would like to open into, this will prepare it for launch
  2. Icon Track - this area will be populated by icons of programs and folders that you choose
  3. Finger Track - this region will be sensitive to touch, you will use it to rotate icons around the Icon Track.
  4. Launch Button - the launch button is fairly self explanatory, press it to launch the program or open the folder of the corresponding icon that is inside the Launch Box
[align=center]Image

[align=left]As you can see here, I've added applications to my wheel. In this situation if I were to press the Launch Button, it would launch Windows Media Player. As you can see its very easy to use, and I think people will be surprised at how quick and lite it is.
[align=center]Image

[align=left]Here is the system tray menu. Obviously you have the option to add a program (.exe) or a folder to the Quick Wheel.
  • Remove a Program/Folder - you can remove a folder or program that you have already added. This is done by rotating the icon that you'd like to remove into the launch box, then right click on the system tray icon and click "Remove a program/folder". Only the icon that was inside the Launch Box will be removed.
  • Set Call Button - this is used to bind a button that will bring up the Quick Wheel. For UX users: you can bring up your Special Button Utility, and remap one of your hardware buttons to a keypress and then bind that key as your call button. I set my original Touch Launcher hardware button to F2 using the Special Button Utility, then set my call button to F2 in Quick Wheel, now when I press it, up pops Quick Wheel.
  • Hide After 10 Seconds - This can be checked off and will cause the application to automatically minimize after 10 seconds of inactivity.
  • Add to Startup - This option quite obviously adds Quick Wheel to your startup so it will be ready as soon as your computer is up and running.
Well thats about all there is to the application. Remember this is a beta, its main purpose is to have it tested across multiple platforms, we've been designing and testing it ourselves on a very limited number of machines, and we need to know how it runs on different computers. With that said...

[align=center]Information we are looking for from the beta

[align=left]Anyone can feel free to download the beta and give it a shot, it would be great if they could also help us out by giving us feedback. The type of information we need are reports of any bugs you might find, things not working correctly, and it would also be great if you could include the system you are running it on. Feedback in general would be great as well, features you'd like to see etc. The link above will be updated regularly as we make changes so be sure to include which version of the application you are running (it will be noted in the folder's title). Also, the way that we adjusted the different sections (Launch Box, Finger Track, Icon Track, and Launch Button) is based entirely around percentages, we need to know if when your Quick Wheel has been scaled to fit your screen that those invisible zones still cover the areas that they are supposed to and are in line with the background graphic.

[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]

Benz145

Known Issues

Postby Benz145 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 01:11

Known Issues
[size=75][color=White]Beta Version 1.1

[/color][/SIZE][align=left]
  • Slight graphical corruption on the background graphic
  • Quick Wheel sometimes minimizes multiple times before staying pulled up

[/align]

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 01:12

Changelog

[align=left]Version 1.2 (9/27/07) -
  • Fixed Force Resolution option to allow less than 800 pixels
  • Fixed autohide issue should make the app "stick" correctly now
  • Fixed an issue where message boxes would not appear correctly

Version 1.1 (8/27/07)
-
  • Force resolution option added to the system tray menu
  • Unique icon added (was borrowing Mobile Home's icon)

Version 1.0 (8/25/07)
-
  • Initial release

[/align]

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 01:12

Reserved.

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 01:17

Reserved.

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 01:59

Benz this is great. I have noticed around the edges are a little rough and the outside of the icons show red.

I am having fun spinning the icons very fast :D

I will make this open with the touch launcher and see how I like it, also one question are you going to have it always be cut off a little by the bottom and top of the screen ?

Do you just want everyone to list bugs they find ?

SR
Sull Support >
-XP: UX driver & app Pack v2.3 [B]Download
[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-Se7en: UX driver & application pack [/color]Download
-Guide: model.txt for XP and Vista [color=Red]Download[/color]

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 02:02

Yes I'd like people to list bugs and try to do it in a nice format, made with bullet points so I can easily translate them to the known issues list. As for it being cut off a little bit at the top and bottom I'm not quite sure what you mean. Can we get a screen shot of it running on your system?
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 02:15

I would just like to know if this looks correct ?

[ATTACH]498[/ATTACH

SR
Attachments
beta1.JPG
Sull Support >

[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 02:17

lol wow very strange, first of all your icons are too small, and second it shouldn't be cut off like that. It should extend from the top of the screen and stop before the task bar and not overlap it. Try extracting everything first, then run it.
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog

Personal Blog

Editor for:

UltrabookNews.com

Carrypad.com

UMPCPortal.com

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 03:55

like you said it could be because the DPI is up, but why would the icons be smaller :confused: I will test soon as I get a chance.

SR
Sull Support >

[/B]

Return to “Software”