Install Vista from recovery partition without the bloat

Talk about software for the micro PC.
awps

Postby awps » Thu Nov 01, 2007 06:32

Hi guys,

I have tried the instrucions give but when I kill the process that is installing Ask Jeeves, there is some errors highlighted. I continue to let the recovery runs as the hdd is still running, but the whole thing will still hang at 53% until the HDD activities stop. Can someone advice what is wrong?

Pls help. Thanks.

strra

Postby strra » Fri Nov 02, 2007 03:50

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=44587
i found this long ago and did the same thing as the OP basically said. A little more detailed tutorial.
it's for the SZ, but it works with the UX as well

**EDIT**: i found one difference... instead of ALaunchCombo being in the startup folder, you have to go into msconfig and unclick it from startup. or you can ctrl+alt+delete, end the process, and do a search for and delete LaunchCombo.exe

NikonUser

Postby NikonUser » Mon Nov 05, 2007 23:42

This didn't work for me :( (UX27GN)

First, there are only 3 tasks listed with the last one being 'install applications'

I try to kill the process and it seems to be sucessful (the first app installed is 'WinDVD') and then it goes on to install the required sony drivers... but then once it's done that it continues installing the bloat.

If I kill the application after this point every time I restart windows the vaio restore utility comes back up and reinstalls the bloat again...

Is a clean install better than just letting sony install all their stuff and then uninstalling it later?

Paul

wrxsti06

Postby wrxsti06 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 00:45

I tried and everything is working! Thx

By the way, where can i get WINDVD for Vaio? Can't find it on sony's website.

marwhit724

question

Postby marwhit724 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 02:35

sorry but i started a thread about this unit 380n. and i read urs would u happen to have ur image of recovery avaiable.. like could u send a copy of i i formated my unit and reinstalled from dvd vistabuisness. not knowing that this had a recovery 5 gig backup.. if u do and u can pull it off ur unit.. please let me kno. :D

rkellerz wrote:This is my first post I'm new to the forum but have not read this anywhere Thought I'd share

First of all this was on a 380n Second I did this awhile ago so some of the names maybe off a little.

Step 1 Run the system recovery at the VAIO start screen I think It's "FN+Z or FN+R"

Step2 Select the option for a full restoration and let the machine reboot and start the process.

Step3 Towards the end of the restoration a small dialog box will appear with I believe 4 tasks listed in it and green check marks beside the completed task.

Step4 The last task called something like installing programs will be unchecked press "ALT+CTRL+DEL" and select task manager from the options.

Step5 Under the applications tab there will be a program named again something like installing programs it will be easy to spot because the only other program running will be windows setup.

Step6 Click on installing programs in the list then click the end task button Now let the restoration finish it will reboot and it will be the OEM of vista all the drivers and VAIO apps but no bloat.

After it was finished I had 20.1GB free thats with the recovery partition still intact and it runs so much better except I had to install the finger print reader but no biggie.

clovis112

Postby clovis112 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 03:10

NikonUser wrote:This didn't work for me :( (UX27GN)

First, there are only 3 tasks listed with the last one being 'install applications'

I try to kill the process and it seems to be sucessful (the first app installed is 'WinDVD') and then it goes on to install the required sony drivers... but then once it's done that it continues installing the bloat.

If I kill the application after this point every time I restart windows the vaio restore utility comes back up and reinstalls the bloat again...

Is a clean install better than just letting sony install all their stuff and then uninstalling it later?

Paul

end the process. i have three as well but end the other two except the one that says 'installing windows'

anh

Postby anh » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:07

Remove recovery partition and run recovery from DVD is the best way to gain disk capacity and eliminate bloats. Let recovery run complete 2 discs, then it will ask to insert disc 1. At this point just go to task manager and delete Launcher.exe, and that's it. I did this in my UX390N. Then you just go to recover programs or drivers as you need.

KERX11

Postby KERX11 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 17:30

Good evening from FRENCH.
I have an UX380N out of order I do not have an operating system anymore nor of part(party) to hide.
It is an US model a person can send me the partition(score) to hide by paying well on. Thank you for all the help that you can bring me.
Sorry, speaking not about English I use a translator.
Tank you

dhayden

Postby dhayden » Mon Nov 19, 2007 18:28

rkellerz wrote:This is my first post I'm new to the forum but have not read this anywhere Thought I'd share

First of all this was on a 380n Second I did this awhile ago so some of the names maybe off a little.

Step 1 Run the system recovery at the VAIO start screen I think It's "FN+Z or FN+R"

Step2 Select the option for a full restoration and let the machine reboot and start the process.

Step3 Towards the end of the restoration a small dialog box will appear with I believe 4 tasks listed in it and green check marks beside the completed task.

Step4 The last task called something like installing programs will be unchecked press "ALT+CTRL+DEL" and select task manager from the options.

Step5 Under the applications tab there will be a program named again something like installing programs it will be easy to spot because the only other program running will be windows setup.

Step6 Click on installing programs in the list then click the end task button Now let the restoration finish it will reboot and it will be the OEM of vista all the drivers and VAIO apps but no bloat.

After it was finished I had 20.1GB free thats with the recovery partition still intact and it runs so much better except I had to install the finger print reader but no biggie.

ok i was thinking of trying this, but will you loose extra installed programs and data files as well as your desktop?

anh

Postby anh » Mon Nov 19, 2007 19:27

dhayden wrote:ok i was thinking of trying this, but will you loose extra installed programs and data files as well as your desktop?

if you have recovery partition hidden in your 380, following the procedure above may be a little bit difficult to do if you decided to keep recovery partition. But if you want create Recovery DVDs and wipe out it, the procedure will be much easier as I did with my 390.
First, create your recovery DVDs for backing up purpose. Then boot your 380 with recovery DVD, select restore complete system with option just 1 partition for Microsoft OS. This will not create recovery partition. Then follow the instruction to the rest of process of 2 DVDs copied. After some next steps, it will prompt you insert DVD1. At this point, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and click Task Manager. Find Launcher.exe and kill it. From now, it wont install any bloat and do the same other process to the rest. With this, you have full driver and function installed. If you need some more program, go to Recover program or driver to install it.
Hope this help.

Return to “Software”