Install Vista from recovery partition without the bloat

Talk about software for the micro PC.
cimino

Postby cimino » Tue Apr 07, 2009 03:04

souledouttildoomsday wrote:When I did a system recovery to try and get rid of all sony bloatware on my new uX380N, after it was completed it Still installed the bloaware, and the UX ran the same, which ran at the same basic slow speed. I decided to install Vista Ultimate on it via my Vista Ultimate disk. And not only did it get rid of all the bloatware, t also made my UX380N quite a bit faster than it was running. It also gave me a Windows Experience Base score of 2.6, making that score higher than the original 2.0 that had been showing. But still, I did not get the extra 10gb back that is hidden somewhere. It is supposed to be a 40gb hdd in my UX380N, with 10gb saved for the system recovery partition. But I thought that by doing a fresh new install of the os via a disk, and reformatting the hard drive, it would have given me back that mssing 10gb of space. But it didn't. I am looking into it, and I might have to redo it at some point to find the 10gb. space. Just thought I would add my thoughts. Thanks

You will have to use a partition manager to delete the recovery partition and resize the main partition to take the space.
Partition Magic is one I have used.

To see the hidden partition, go to Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer manager.
I think you can delete it here and replace it with a normal NTFS partition, but you will need partition manager software if you want to actually merge it.

golden

Postby golden » Mon Apr 13, 2009 02:22

unfortunately this didn't work for me at all and i have the 390N model. Is that not compatible? Anyway, I got to the steps with the check marks and when I press CTRL ALT DELETE I only see windows setup. If I delete it the whole process shuts down and I have to recover from scratch because my computer won't boot normally. If I wait longer when the "Ask Jeeves Installation" programs comes on with all the other garbage ware installations and terminate that then my recovery crashes at that step and won't go any further and I have to recover again from scratch. Any help for my situation, perhaps someone with a 390N? Thanks.

bradley160794

Postby bradley160794 » Mon May 18, 2009 20:02

hi,

can this be don with xp on a ux280? if so how?
what process or app will i have to kill?

thanks, bradley
VGN-UX280P
Intel Core Solo@1.2Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 40Gb HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2

VGN-FZ21E
Intel Core 2 Duo@2.00Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT - 831mb shared, 64mb Dedicated
Windows 7 Ultimate RTM

jp3236

Postby jp3236 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 04:26

kjw415 wrote:anh (or anyone else that can help),
I tried following your directions, but the bloatware reinstalled. I never got a request to reinsert DVD 1 after the 2 DVDs ran. Was I suppose to select NO on the menu that asked about "value-added" software in the recovery partition? It was just prior to the screen asking about partitions. That is the only thing I remember that was not covered specifically in your instructions. By the way, the resulting HD was C: 31GB, Recovery: 7 GB. Thanks!

Was there any response to this? I did the same thing, with the same results. I did, however select "no" for the value added software, and it didnt change anything. I also ended up with an "E" drive of 34 mb...whats that all about?? Anyway, I may try again tomorrow. I did notice that when the computer rebooted it did ask to use disk 1 again, and that may be where Anh was referring to going to the task manager. If you have any suggestion, let me know! I still ended up with the "ask" and the norton, etc. Don't want any of that crap...

Thanks
Jeremy

jp3236

Postby jp3236 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 22:45

Ok so I followed Worf's recovery to reinstall the biometric fingerprint, however after I created the Vaio Recovery folder and moved the file over, I still can't launch the recovery center??? So I am at a loss as to how to get my fingerprint reader working...any suggestions? I tried Worf's process twice with the same results. Everything else seems to work. The only items I'm missing are the fingerprint reader and the internet connection center or whatever its called... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jp3236

Postby jp3236 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 01:47

d33 wrote:Hi,
Ive successfully restored my UX390N without the bloat but when im trying to access the
vaio recovery center nothing happens. Anyone else having this issue? By the way i installed vista through the recovery not DVD. Would appriciate any help thanks.

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having the same problem where I click on the recovery center and nothing happens???

Thanks
Jeremy

jp3236

Postby jp3236 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 03:10

anyone??? Need to get tthe fingerprint reader working :(

emilyammy

Postby emilyammy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45

A very Interesting guide it is. I am very much thankful to you. It is very good and needed information for computer users. It is working good and includes camera, BT, the Wi-Fi and many more.

r2kthug2004

Need Help with reinstalling OS with recovery partition for VGN -UX380N

Postby r2kthug2004 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 14:50

i really need some help with reinstalling Sony Vaio VGN-UX380N, im also new to this site. the previous owner wipe the hard drive entirely :mad: and install windows 7 but now its not working only seeing curser. if its posible for someone to point me in the right direction by getting a iso to completely restoring this device to factory then i will greatly appreciate it :)

thank you

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 15:37

If you really want a factory clean install you can call Sony and pay them to send you the recovery disks. It should cost you about $25.

Factory install is total crap. Especially a Vista factory install. Just get a Windows 7 disc and do a clean install. With the help of users on this forum you can get everything working perfectly.
Z1290X: i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 280.26/3D Vision | Intel 6230 WiFi/BT 3.0HS | Gobi Unlocked | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi
P11SKX/Bl Signature Black Crocodile
P688E/N: Gold | Gobi Unlocked | Ext Batt | VAIO Gold Mouse
UX490N: Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | Ext Batt

Return to “Software”