Sull's Custom Windows XP CD Creator for UX [Updated: 3/6/08]

Talk about software for the micro PC.
MaxT

Postby MaxT » Fri Jul 11, 2008 19:31

Sull, many thanks for your efforts!

Today I relatively easy installed XP on my UX490 from the usb stick and would like to share some lessons learned. For the installation I used Sull's integration pack, updated DP to 8.5 and usb_multiboot_10. I also had some dos bootdisk on another stick to be able quickly reformat UX's drive.
I just followed Sull's guide, pointed usb_multiboot to my xp_cd directory with tablet/mediacenter files and used semiattended install option (the one which asks only for the user name at first logon).

Now my small experience:
1. Not all usb sticks can be used for booting on UX. I have Kingston 2G DataTraveler and could not boot from it on UX (but booted on my ASUS W3J), but 2G Apacer works fine.
2. Stick should be formatted in FAT not FAT32
3. As for now it is not possible to install XP on UX from USB and keep the recovery partition. During installation hal.dll error occurs. The same is for ASUS EEE
4. Carefully follow the instructions in USB_multiboot - for example initially I missed the bit that after setup suggests to format the drive to NTFS one should do this and then switch the computer off/reboot and after that start text mode setup again.
5. Integration instructions in pdf guide linked in another thread are not 100% correct. Do not copy paste them as there are some characters from other codepages and the installation of net framework should be done from the separate file. Google for the instructions. So far I did not manage to integrate mediacenter (do not need it but just curious to do)
6. Just before DPFinisher starts I got the message that "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\harddisk\Dr1" or something like that. The same one appeared at first boot. I pressed continue. Since the firstboot.bat refers to CD I guess that there is something related to the fact that usb_multiboot at some point of installations renames its $winnt$... directories and then renames them back.
7. Not clear how $OEM$\... is handled - NET framework was installed from it but setup did not find vidchng.exe.

Hope somebody will find this useful.

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 16:26

:D

Yeah some USB sticks won't work, I bought a Corsair Flash Voyager because another MPCT member had one and confirmed it works :)

Thanks for letting us know your adventure :p
Sull Support >
-XP: UX driver & app Pack v2.3 [B]Download
[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-Se7en: UX driver & application pack [/color]Download
-Guide: model.txt for XP and Vista [color=Red]Download[/color]

susp

can not find DSPdsblr.exe

Postby susp » Sat Jul 19, 2008 03:11

Sull,
You did a wonderful job putting together all drivers and apps, many thanx.

did you guys finally figure out the source of "can not find c:\DSPdsblr.exe" problem. I am trying to install Sull's integration pack V1.1 and I get this error.
I saw you were talking about it in old postings. But is there any findings? I tested with/without docking station, with couple of different burned CD's with a sony external DVD drive. No success yet.

Thanks

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 15:17

Hi,

Been absent lately, I never figured anything out, ever since I started installing without the UX in the dock I have never had any issues, you could also try the newer version of DPS_BASE from driverpacks.net.

My next version will include that and some updates, that won't be for a while though.

Best thing to do is try the newer version of DPS BASE from driverpacks.net and rebuild the CD you made !
Sull Support >

[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

Samir1974

Postby Samir1974 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 15:29

Thanks!!! Great work!
[color="Red"]Sony VGN-UX1XRN & XP Tablet 2005[/color]
[color="Blue"]Toshiba Qosmio G45 & Vista Ultimate[/color]
[color="Lime"]Apple MacBook & MacOs 10.5.3[/color]

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 15:55

Thanks, a lot of hard work was put into this :)
Sull Support >

[/B]

Albedo

Postby Albedo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 02:36

Hey all,

This forum has been outlandishly instructive, and I am grateful to all who post. I just got a UX390N, and I want use this guide to wipe Vista and install XP per Sull's directions. My question is this: I have an XP installation that predtaes SP2 -- I believe it's SP1a. Is there any possible way to use that anyway and maybe update on my own, or do I really need an SP2 installation disc from the start?

Many thanks,

Dave

Albedo

Postby Albedo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 23:09

Don't all answer at once.

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 02:26

Dave,

Sorry mate I am busy doing "summer" things, to answer your question.. you can easily update you CD to SP3 easily.

Copy the contents of your Windows XP cd to a folder on your computer, then run nlite and locate the folder with your Windows XP files, now select service pack in nlite and browse to the location of SP3 ( this can be downloaded off the net ) nlite will now slipstream SP3 :)

I should be around once a day or so:)
Sull Support >

[/B]

Albedo

Postby Albedo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 01:22

Hey Sull,

Thanks for the reply. I slipstreamed SP3 in no problem, but then I kept receiving messages about how the files had changed for the Integration Pack and did I want to overwrite the older versions. I said yes to these prompts, but now when I check the WINNT file, it doesn't check out with everything you say it should contain. For reference, here is the notepad version in its entirety:

[Data]
Autopartition=0
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
FileSystem=*
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPreinstall=Yes

[GuiRunOnce]

"%Systemdrive%\Install\RunOnceEX.cmd"

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,