UX Zoomkey Controller

Talk about software for the micro PC.
Stratrix

UX Zoomkey Controller (Updated: 2008/04/05 - v1.0.1)

Postby Stratrix » Fri Apr 04, 2008 09:20

Problem:
Changing the brightnesss of the screen and the volume of the speakers should be easy. Unfortunately, it is not easy on the Sony VAIO UX series micro-computers. Using Sony's TouchLauncher is painful. Just loading the app to change volume / brightness takes more than a few seconds! This is simply not acceptable.

Solution:
I wrote a program called UX Zoomkey Controller. :D

UX Zoomkey Controller is a simple utility to quickly change the functionality of the zoom buttons. Instead of using Sony's Special Button Utility to reconfigure what the zoom buttons do, users can quickly toggle the behavior of the zoom keys to configure brightness/volume.

Requirements:
* Sony Special Button Utility
* Sony VAIO Event Service
* .NET Framework 2.0
* Administrative rights (needs rights to write to registry)

Disclaimer:
The software is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. By running the software, you agree that I will not be held responsible for any damage cause directly or indirectly by this program.

Installation / Usage:
The global hotkey to trigger the mode toggle is currently hardcoded to Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Win+U. I had to pick something unique.

1. Use Sony's special button utility to re-map the touch launcher button to do a key operation. (Alternatively, run "RegisterHotkeyToTouchLauncherButton.reg", you choose to do this, skip to step 3).

2. Assign it the key Shift+Alt+Ctrl+Win+'U' by holding down all those keys. I know its tricky, but you'll only have to do it once. (Alternatively, run "RegisterHotkeyToTouchLauncherButton.reg", you choose to do this, skip to step 3).

3. Run UXZoomkeyController.exe. When you load the application, your zoom keys will be automatically set to change volume.

4. Click your TouchLauncher button to toggle between Speaker (Volume Control), and Monitor (Brightness Control). (alternatively, you can click on the image and it will also toggle).

Download:
Copy & paste (2008/04/05 v1.0.1): http://alexleekt.com/files/UXZoomkeyController.zip

Changelist:
v1.0.1: http://micropctalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30996&postcount=10

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I change the hotkey?
A: Not yet.

Q: How do I move the window?
A: Click and drag the outer, darker area of the window.

Q: Can I hide the window?
A: Right-Click on the window and choose "Show/Hide". There is also a system tray icon that is used to access the right-click context menu.

Q: Can I give suggestions/comments?
A: Sure! Leave me a message here, or on the forum discussion link below, or email them to stratrix [at] gmail [dot] com.

Future Plans:

* make the application run automatically as a Windows Service (runs automatically every boot for any user).
* optimize memory usage (C# has a pretty big overhead though).
* add more modes (Firefox change tab).
* make things user-customizable.

Blog:
http://alexleekt.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/ux-zoomkey-controller/

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:52

Looks great, let me get this straight though - the utility makes it so you can toggle back and forth between having your zoom keys bound to volume and brightness? What about people who actually use the zoom? Can you make it toggle between all three?
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

Stratrix

Postby Stratrix » Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:59

benz145 wrote:Looks great, let me get this straight though - the utility makes it so you can toggle back and forth between having your zoom keys bound to volume and brightness? What about people who actually use the zoom? Can you make it toggle between all three?

Yes, it can only toggle between volume and brightness at the moment. (cause i programmed it for myself. LOL).

Getting zoom to work as well won't be too difficult. I can do that next. Would you use it if I did that? :P

Also, do you useful to bind it to the TouchLauncher button?
Alternatively, I think I might be looking into how to set the camera capture button to toggle instead :).

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 18:05

To be honest, I don't use the zoom, it is too slow, and I have good enough vision to not require zoom, though I'm sure some people do, but they may use other zooming tools (I wish there was something as good as the iPod Touch/iPhone zoom). I think the Touch Launcher is a pretty important button, I think it would be better to bind toggle to the capture button as you said. The Touch Launcher has some important things on it such as easily changing screen output and a few other things.

I'll sticky this thread for you, I hope we see more useful tools for the UX : )
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog

Personal Blog

Editor for:

UltrabookNews.com

Carrypad.com

UMPCPortal.com

Stratrix

Postby Stratrix » Fri Apr 04, 2008 18:19

benz145 wrote:To be honest, I don't use the zoom, it is too slow, and I have good enough vision to not require zoom, though I'm sure some people do, but they may use other zooming tools (I wish there was something as good as the iPod Touch/iPhone zoom). I think the Touch Launcher is a pretty important button, I think it would be better to bind toggle to the capture button as you said. The Touch Launcher has some important things on it such as easily changing screen output and a few other things.

I'll sticky this thread for you, I hope we see more useful tools for the UX : )

Alright. I'll go look into how to get it to toggle with camera capture button. :)
(i still like to map my Touch Launcher button though, the Touch Launcher is too painfully slow. I know its useful, I'll just keep mine in the start menu. LOL).

Thanks for the sticky. :cool:

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Fri Apr 04, 2008 18:49

I have these buttons set curently to scroll up and down ... my problem is we can't hold the buttons down to scroll smoothly as the display will change to keyboard setting sreen

Is there any way of fixing this with your magic :)

Stratrix

Postby Stratrix » Fri Apr 04, 2008 18:53

Yeggster wrote:I have these buttons set curently to scroll up and down ... my problem is we can't hold the buttons down to scroll smoothly as the display will change to keyboard setting sreen

Is there any way of fixing this with your magic :)

Can you post a screenshot of the keyboard setting screen you are talking about?
I'll definitely put it in my to-do list. (but no guarantees if I'll ever fix it though :rolleyes: )

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Fri Apr 04, 2008 19:06

I'm not on the UX right now ... but it's the same as you first and second pic you posted in this thread ... I just click on "Up Arrow" in the setings to set it to scroll ....

anytime you hold DOWN the buttons ..... the "Button/Keyboard Settings" options come up so it will not scroll continuously ... hope that mkes sence somtimes I don't always explina things well :)

renecanlas

Postby renecanlas » Sat Apr 05, 2008 04:14

This is a great app, and just what i was looking for! Thanks!
Some suggestions, if you don't mind:

1. Make the launcher button configurable (ex. 3rd mouse button?). I use the camera and the touch launcher so another button might be better...
2. Add more functions (zoom, page up/page down, increase/decrease browser font, etc)
3. Display the icon of the current active function on-screen for a few seconds when the launcher button is pressed. Alternatively you could also display the current brightness and volume settings when these functions are active.

Since you have probably seen the registry settings for the special buttons, do you have any ideas on how to enable configuration for the other buttons? Do you think this is at all possible?

Thanks again for a great app! More power!

Rene

Stratrix

Postby Stratrix » Sat Apr 05, 2008 22:21

v1.0.1 :cool:

Changelist
Added mode changed SplashScreen.
- When the mode changes, a splash screen will appear in the middle of the screen for 2 seconds. (The duration is not configurable at the moment).
Added more modes:
- Zoom Control (the built in VAIO zoom utility)
- Firefox Tab Control (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+PgUp, Ctrl+PgDn)
- Page Up/Dn Control (keyboard shortcut: PgUp, PgDn)
- VAIO Touch Launcher (both buttons are mapped to launch the Touch Launcher)
Added "Options" Dialog:
- Can select enable/disable toggle modes. (To re-order, see Known Problems #2 below)
- Saves selection to file. (So, don't delete the UXZoomkeyController.exe.config)!

Known Problems
1. Application is hungry on ram (takes ~14MB in WinXP, ~6MB in Vista)
- C# is the cause. Will be working on slimming it down, but hopes aren't high.
2. Cannot re-order the toggle modes (don't know how to do it in C# yet).
- Workaround: Run the application. Open up UXZoomkeyController.exe.config in Notepad. Re-order the "EnabledModes" value manually. (e.g. "Volume Control!Brightness Control" means Volume Control first, then Brightness Control Second)

To-do / Wish List
1. Alt-Tab mode
2. Hotkey using

Download
Copy & paste (2008/04/05 v1.0.1): http://alexleekt.com/files/UXZoomkeyController.zip

Return to “Software”