How to unlock the Sony Ericsson EDGE (SIM) module

Talk about the wireless features of the micro PC.
Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Sun Jul 04, 2010 03:30

Not fully ... you may have to purchase a classic size SIM card from the provider you wish to deal with ... a SIM card from another provider will not likley work.

Also providers that are on CDMA (non-SIM card) will not work at all.

qreese

Postby qreese » Sun Jul 04, 2010 07:18

Yeggster wrote:Not fully ... you may have to purchase a classic size SIM card from the provider you wish to deal with ... a SIM card from another provider will not likley work.

Also providers that are on CDMA (non-SIM card) will not work at all.

Ahhhhh and errrrrr! This is way too tricky. I am about to sell my UX380N and just be done with it all. LOL! :rolleyes:
Sony Vaio UX-380n sold to a business via Ebay! :cool:

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Sun Jul 04, 2010 15:37

qreese wrote:Ahhhhh and errrrrr! This is way too tricky. I am about to sell my UX380N and just be done with it all. LOL! :rolleyes:

:) ... some good news is many providers give a SIM Card away free if you sign up to a data and package .. shop around a bit ...

OR you can also share a SIM Card between your cell phone and the UX, by switching it back and forth .. I did that for a year before buying a dedicated SIM Card for the UX ... as I only used the WAN Module when I could not find wifi and I had an "emergency" to get on the net :)

qreese

Postby qreese » Sun Jul 04, 2010 21:29

It seems like AT&T/Cingular unlimited package is the better of the two. It only asks for $30 USD for unlimited data usasge. I think T-Mobile asks for $39.99 USD.

So, I think I am just going to leave the modem locked for now. If AT&T jacks up its price, then I will have to get the unlocked code for the modem.

You think I should get the unlocked code before reformatting the seller's edition of Window's Vista, or I will be fine and can get the code in the future?

Thanks for your much appreciated help! :o

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Sun Jul 04, 2010 23:23

I don't think it makes much difference but I would do the unlock code first

When you get your data plan the unlimited`smart phone`packages may not apply to the UX Computer, remember it is a computer not a phone ...

Normally you have to pay for a netbook or laptop data plan to use the UX on line, but ask and see what they say at your provider.

qreese

Postby qreese » Mon Jul 05, 2010 02:41

Why would you recommend the unlocking now as opposed to the future? Thanks for letting me know the laptop plan versus the smartphone. :)

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 02:43

Like I say I am not sure if it makes any difference it's just my preference.

Once the WAN module is unlocked it's unlocked for ever .. so might as well do it now.

qreese

Postby qreese » Tue Jul 06, 2010 04:10

Yeggster wrote:Like I say I am not sure if it makes any difference it's just my preference.

Once the WAN module is unlocked it's unlocked for ever .. so might as well do it now.

Thanks. I am going to try it via e-mail (to unlock). Hey, do you know the exact email to contact to do so. I was going to try Sony's tech support via email.

-Q

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Tue Jul 06, 2010 05:13

Check this thread for the details .. I don;t know the email off hand ... I did it by phone myself for three three UX's i unlocked ... but that was a while ago ..

I do not even use my WAN Module now ... I use a separate USB modem as it allows voice cell phone use as well ...

qreese

Postby qreese » Wed Jul 07, 2010 00:43

Yeggster wrote:Check this thread for the details .. I don;t know the email off hand ... I did it by phone myself for three three UX's i unlocked ... but that was a while ago ..

I do not even use my WAN Module now ... I use a separate USB modem as it allows voice cell phone use as well ...

Okay. Thanks! :)

Return to “Wireless”