Has anyone tried a 4G SIM?

Talk about the wireless features of the micro PC.
kashief

Has anyone tried a 4G SIM?

Postby kashief » Tue May 07, 2013 03:54

Hey . Beautiful forum here. Didn't see a post with this topic and couldn't do a search since the words are too common and/or short. But to get to it.

I've ordered two UX280p's and had a crazy thought. Now I've read up on unlocking and that will be the first thing I do. But my question comes here I would have to purchase new SIM cards since I don't believe either of them will come with one. Now, as far as I know, all the newer SIM cards are going to be 4G or 4G LTE. I'm not too knowledgeable about 4G as far as compatibility and protocols, but I remember reading somewhere that it would just be a matter of APN changes. Is there anyone here who can shed some light on this?

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Wed May 08, 2013 19:23

I don't think that there are many carriers that CAN support the Erricson WWAN modem in the UX -I think your choices were AT&T/Cingular or Nextel? (the hardware is also pretty slow- 2G- "2nd generation wireless"). It'd probably be faster to get a USB modem or tether the UX to a 3G/4G mobile device via MiFi, usb, or bluetooth.
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

kashief

Postby kashief » Wed May 08, 2013 20:58

Sadly :-( eh oh well... I'll see how one of my extra T-Mobile sim do after I get both of these unlocked. Thanks.

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Thu May 09, 2013 17:39

Before you try that, you'll want to get all WWAN updates from Sony's esupport site. AFAIK there was a firmware update for the modem, & you had to have the SmartWi connection manger SW installed (& wireless switch ON) to do anything with it.
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy

UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

bigs

Postby bigs » Fri May 10, 2013 06:12

kashief, why are you getting two Ux 280p? Do you need a spare in case one breaks down?

I remember the days when my UX has only a u1400 CPU. It was good, but way slow. You will have to send on of your 280P's to Anh for an upgrade to a tasty u7700 with 2 cores! Makes the UX go good enough to run alot of demanding applications, and multi tasking
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

kashief

Postby kashief » Sat May 11, 2013 09:38

ceehoppy1st
I've been updating for two days lol. Got the print reader working now all thats left is the memory stick slot. i have to reinstall everything again probably.

bigs
I got two because I normally like to have an extra device to test on and one to use in my everyday life. havent gotten a chance to read much into it yet, but I since the recovery partition is still in tact on my other ux, stock windows xp, i was going to try and pull as much data from that as possible. i just want the oem apps and drivers because downloading and installing them, in seemingly improper order, is an irksome process...especially when bundled with the task of installing windows 7 and installing all the updates since before sp1.

i thought i almost found the MRK for my ux for download but it was a repair shop so there would have been a nice fee. im determined to find a solution. is it really that hard for sony to set up a site with a server so you could download this type of stuff after entering certain unique device info like serial numbers...? yea sure its dicontinued, but people still use them. if they keep the disign and mak it thinner they could make a comeback.

Return to “Wireless”