Screen Protector Mini Reviews

Talk about add-ons and accessories to the micro PC.
bmwlover0725

Postby bmwlover0725 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 03:50

For the crystal types, make sure to get all dust/dirt away and pull just a tiny bit of paper off the back of the protector and fold it back. Take something the size of the screen and push it on the protector as it goes over the screen. This will get most bubbles out as its put on. Any other bubbles should be pushed out and smooth with a credit card. This will get your screen protector on as it should be. I got 3 for 5 bucks on eBay and they work great. No bubbles and no scratches. They were a bit big though, so I cut them to fit perfect. Hope this helps. Maybe I'll give the third one you mentioned a try.

gthomso1

Postby gthomso1 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 07:13

Thanks for the post Rorschach, just placed an order for one of the Boxwave Crystal 's
I Reject your reality and substitute my own....

Sony UX-71
Vista Home Premium
Sony PS3
Sony PSP
Sony Bravia 46" x-Series
Richmond, VIC, Australia

hazmat

Postby hazmat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:50

I bought 4 of the Sony Protectors for about 28 Bucks. I could never get them applied to the screen without getting dust/lint underneath the protector that drives me CRAZY !

Ok..so maybe I don't vacuum every day but dust just seemed to stick to these like a magnet sticks to iron. I tried removing them, then wiping them with a dust free cloth (lens cleaner) but that just seemed to muck up whatever adhesive/film they had on the down side. I also tried to rinse them in cold water to remove dust but that seemed to ruin them.

Very dissatisfied...as it seems you need a clean room just to apply the thing.

Maybe I will spring for the Boxwave...but the prices are outrageous for a piece of plastic that no doubt costs no more than a few pennies to make.

I am going to try and make a homemade version, maybe out of clear mylar film, cut to spec and I will see if I can make it workable. I would buy a boatload of these things if they weren't prices so ridiculously.

xoxUXox

Postby xoxUXox » Thu Jun 28, 2007 15:22

Do the texture of the official Sony screen protectors bother anyone else? It feels like writing on ice to me. I need something with a bit of feedback, as close to the texture of paper as possible. I previously attempted to cut a template from a sheet of the film that bestskinsever sells , but ended up butchering it and the Sony protector (used as a template) in the process :-\

Well, shieldzone finally has a UX screen protector available. It is the same material as bestskinsever, but twice the cost. Does anyone here have any extended experience with these?

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 16:40

I don't use a screen protector and my screen is in perfect condition, not a single mark or scratch.

Davey

Postby Davey » Fri Jun 29, 2007 00:13

Aussie wrote:I don't use a screen protector and my screen is in perfect condition, not a single mark or scratch.

same for me, it is the same for my smart phone

but then I don't use a key to touch the screen - I mate of mine did and wondered why his scratched...

that said I might get one anyway incase I start to see marks coming...

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Fri Jun 29, 2007 06:13

Aussie wrote:I don't use a screen protector and my screen is in perfect condition, not a single mark or scratch.

Wanna cookie? :p

People have reasons to use a protector and people have reasons not to. I'd rather this thread didn't turn into a pointless debate, but the truth is that accidents happen. This is meant to be a mobile device, and there are people here that travel alot, and no matter how well you try to take care of your expensive toy, scratches, not matter how minute, will appear. It's inevitable.

hazmat wrote:Ok..so maybe I don't vacuum every day but dust just seemed to stick to these like a magnet sticks to iron. I tried removing them, then wiping them with a dust free cloth (lens cleaner) but that just seemed to muck up whatever adhesive/film they had on the down side. I also tried to rinse them in cold water to remove dust but that seemed to ruin them.

Very dissatisfied...as it seems you need a clean room just to apply the thing.

I've heard of people turning on the hot water in their restroom and waiting for the steam to build, and applying it then. That's a little extreme to me. It's not easy getting these things on dust and bubble free, but it just takes practice and patience. As I'm applying it, I have a piece of tape stuck to another finger. As I'm laying it down, if I see a piece of lint stuck to the bottom, I lift the protector a bit, and dab that area with the tape. That's the best way to remove crap as it's being laid down.

And I agree about the rinsing thing. These companies claim that these protectors can be cleaned with soap and water then easily reused. I think that's a crock.

rblanco

Postby rblanco » Wed Oct 17, 2007 04:55

I wish I would have read this before I purchased my "Boxwave ClearTouch Anti-Glare screens." :o I was already set on a screen protector before I bought my UX280P. I will tell you all what I think when I recieve my delivery. Thanks.

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Mon Nov 26, 2007 01:12

I purchased the "Invisable Shield"

http://www.shieldzone.com

screen protector for my UX this week

It's basicly a semi-permenant screen protector with a fairly strong adhesive backing ... that can stand up MUCH better then any other product out there ... it would need replacing perhaps every year or two.

... finaly got around to installing it on Friday and I was very disapointed :( ... it's VERY difficult to get on straight ... and it picks up dust spots out of thin air :(

It installs with a proprietry liquid spray (I suspect some kind of soap and water mixture) and even with this product sprayed on once more than 1/2" of the film is stuck it's there to stay ... I lifted mine off twice and it got worse everytime.

All of that would have been worth it ... even if I had to buy two or three to get it right ... \\

... except for the fact once it was on ... the screen was blurry ... with my eye sight the UX's screen is JUST readable (even with my bifocals) ... with that thick screen protector on? ... it was past the point of me being able to read text comfortably.

The company is GREAT to deal with though ... the product is amazingly tough , and it actualy improved the rouch screen response in my opinion ... I've ordered one for my phone (A Sony 890i ) as it just won't matter much if the screen is a tad blury on it and it's going to be MUCH more likley to get scratched than my UX.

So I ordered a couple packs of the regular screen protectors form Sony ... (free shipping if you order two packs) ... hopefull they won't effect the readability for me.

KitchyBangBang

Postby KitchyBangBang » Mon Jan 14, 2008 19:59

i had my ux for about a month without a screen protector, maybe its a tough screen but there wasnt any scratches. now ive had my sony protector on it and for abt 5 months.they send you two for about 15 bucks. im still using the same screen protector. tough stuff kittens!

Return to “Accessories”