What do you think Toshiba Libretto W105-L251

Talk about other handheld devices that compete with the micro PC.
bigs

Postby bigs » Tue May 15, 2012 08:46

thanks for the info sabot, its good to see some new comers the forum, things seems a bit slow on the UX front now that most mods have been exploited on the UX.

I heard that the w100 libretto gets real hot already, it would be nice to have cooler running cpu onboard.

Further it seems to have no proper VGA, or HDMI output. Maybe this too could be modded!

Will have to see if Anh gets his hands on one of these devices and starts modding!!
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

sabot

Postby sabot » Tue May 15, 2012 19:15

Hello bigs,
Well, I was on the edge of buying an UX and kept an eye out for them, but the amount of ram they have makes them basically useless for me, since most of my work is done with graphics programs. Regardless, I was dropping by now and then to see what you guys are up to :)

For me, the game changed pretty much with Libretto, since it may (or may not) have a comparatively larger modding potential. And, damn, it would be pretty awesome if Anh got onto the game.

[color="YellowGreen"]re: no external video[/color]
See, you don't really need any external video output for Lib, because it has a mini pcie on the motherboard. It's worth much more than a mere external video output, because you can do the eGPU mod, as described here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences.html
ATM I am running a desktop Geforce with dual screens, completely bypassing the inbuilt Intel HD of the Thinkpad.

I am now waiting for some $ to be able to buy an used Lib and try running it with an additional mPICe module I got with the eGPU package, to see if it tests positive. I hope Toshiba didn't put whitelists in the bios... keep your fingers crossed!

[color="YellowGreen"]re: processor heating[/color]
I'm running a 640LM in my thinkpad with a radiator that's about 15mm in height. I guess a cooling mod for a Lib wouldn't be hard, and I can accept some additional thickness.
I've got access to a lathe, so I could mill out a custom radiator out silver, to keep things small.

Hmm, I think I'll start a new thread about the Lib and it's modding potential...

bigs

Postby bigs » Wed May 16, 2012 23:18

Ahh, good solution to the ext video issue, impressed. I guess it has been discussed doing that mod to the UX, as it too has a mini-PCI-e slot in the motherboard.

Only issue I have is that I use my UX currently in more than one location, which means that I would need two external GPU setups lol.

I think a better idea would be to downclock the i7 cpu so as to reduce heat and power consumption, still want good battery life if thats possible with i7.

To give an example of battery life, the UX on a standard battery, doing general file transfer, dropbox, surfing, and chatting, on standard battery can get me just over 2 hours of wifi surfing.

Whats the battery life on the w105 like stock?
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

sabot

Postby sabot » Thu May 17, 2012 01:36

Bigs, the eGPU solution is basically a piece of PCB, 18cm long. With a Pico PSU and some chassis it wouldn't be a problem to carry around. You could even skip the HDMI cable it uses for connectivity by giving it a dock-like form factor.

The battery on W10x is similar - 2 hours on stock, 4 hours on extended if I remember correctly. I don't know if it's continuous use, but I assume so. Gonna find out pretty soon :)

You could mod it to cut off power for the touch interfaces and use external mouse/touchpad/trackball/something pulled out from a Blackberry

If the 4 or 8 GB RAM was possible, you could easily have it drop into sleep mode without using HDD at all. It would wake instantly on input.

Dropping a Linux distro on it, esp. something light, would get rid of the continuous read/write Windows does, saving some battery as well.

The original battery is very thin. I would replace it with something bulkier... Lib is 5x8 inches, that's 127x200mm (approx.). Substracting the existing battery and giving it an additional inch (also, adding 1kg of weight :D) would give you 15Ah, 170Wh @ 10.8V, and I'm not even using flat cells for the calculation.

That would easily give you 14 hours of continuous use on an i7 640LM, but practically that would be around 20 h or more.

bigs

Postby bigs » Thu May 17, 2012 07:59

you certain you can get 14 hours with this ideal 1kg extended battery? adding and inch here and there will definitely reduce the portability of the device. infact you will more than double the weight, making it heavier than a toshiba r800 series notebook , which too does nearly 8 hours on a charge but with 13" screen and full keyboard realestate!

The beauty of the UX is it fits in the pocket, and it 600 grams hehe. w100 800 olld grams, and slim can still fit in the pocket sort of. But these mods you suggest make the libretto very non ultra mobile.

sabot

Postby sabot » Thu May 17, 2012 09:06

Yes, I am pretty sure.
I am holding such battery in my hands atm. Half of it, to be precise - an extended 7.26 Ah thinkpad battery, it's covering exactly half of the Lib from my measurements.
And that's the performance for a 640LM processor, not the stock Pentium.

I admit it's pretty hardcore - no one is offering such batteries even for the 12" Thinkpad.

There are similar batteries for the TP x220, however, utilizing the ultrabase slot, they are huge and flat, the size of the laptop itself. So it's a known solution.

You could cut down on the battery size if you used square li-polymer, like the one in Macbook Pros.

Still, to me, this falls under ultraportable - the 5 inches dimension really does that, meaning I can carry it around on my belt or in a jacket pocket. Thickness is not much of an issue here, to me, at least.

And I just love the screen estate this thing has.

Return to “Competitors”