What do you think Toshiba Libretto W105-L251

Talk about other handheld devices that compete with the micro PC.
ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Sun Sep 12, 2010 01:25

OMG! computercowboy, that Z is a monster:eek: My "old" desktop gets 107620 on Crystalmark (crappy embedded graphics, Amd dual core 3Ghz, Xp on OCZ ssd.) Every year or so performance, capacity, etc keeps doubling.
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 05:22

ceehoppy1st wrote:OMG! computercowboy, that Z is a monster:eek: My "old" desktop gets 107620 on Crystalmark (crappy embedded graphics, Amd dual core 3Ghz, Xp on OCZ ssd.) Every year or so performance, capacity, etc keeps doubling.

Indeed, I am quite pleased with it. Think about this also, that is a 32bit benchmark on a 64bit system. The programs that are compiled native for 64bit are even faster. Office 2010 and Photoshop CS5 are amazingly fast.

I can't wait until they cram an i7 or even i5 into something smaller. After having the UX as my main machine for so long I wasn't happy to have to get a larger machine, I know that is kind of funny because a 3 pound sub-notebook is not exactly large but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. I am envious of my GF's new VAIO P but it is just not fast enough. The performance of the Z has totally won me over.

Sony, Toshiba, or Fujitsu will you please put an i7 in a computer around the size of the VAIO P with all the goods like a high res screen and HDMI out... all under 2 pounds, please?
Z1290X: i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 280.26/3D Vision | Intel 6230 WiFi/BT 3.0HS | Gobi Unlocked | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi
P11SKX/Bl Signature Black Crocodile
P688E/N: Gold | Gobi Unlocked | Ext Batt | VAIO Gold Mouse
UX490N: Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | Ext Batt

PILZ

Postby PILZ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 08:54

computercowboy: don't forget:
Sony, Toshiba, or Fujitsu will you please put an i7 in a computer around the size of the VAIO UX with all the goods like a high res screen and HDMI out... all under 1 pound, please?
:D
[color="Red"]Sony Vaio VGN-UX390N[/color]
[color="DimGray"]JVC MiniNote MP-XP731[/color]
[color="DimGray"]HTC TouchPro[/color]

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 17:26

PILZ wrote:computercowboy: don't forget:
Sony, Toshiba, or Fujitsu will you please put an i7 in a computer around the size of the VAIO UX with all the goods like a high res screen and HDMI out... all under 1 pound, please?
:D

well it is nice to dream, as it stands now I think they really could put an i7 in something the size of a P. I have opened the Z many times and the motherboard is very small. It is only a 1/4 of the footprint of the Z. I like the P because it has a usable keyboard. The weight isn't as much of a concern to me as the size is. If they could make a P sized i7 computer at 2 pounds or even a little more that would be fine with me. I would want all the other extras also, a backlit keyboard, fingerprint scanner, WWAN, GPS, all of it.

The problem is that they get flack for the P being the price that it is, I think that the sub-notebook market is a lot kinder to them because it is more of a standard form factor. The UX wasn't a big seller. The P sells better but the dumb public can't see that the P is more computer than your average NetBook.
Z1290X: i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 280.26/3D Vision | Intel 6230 WiFi/BT 3.0HS | Gobi Unlocked | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi

bigs

Postby bigs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 20:33

computercowboy wrote:well it is nice to dream, as it stands now I think they really could put an i7 in something the size of a P. I have opened the Z many times and the motherboard is very small. It is only a 1/4 of the footprint of the Z. I like the P because it has a usable keyboard. The weight isn't as much of a concern to me as the size is. If they could make a P sized i7 computer at 2 pounds or even a little more that would be fine with me. I would want all the other extras also, a backlit keyboard, fingerprint scanner, WWAN, GPS, all of it.

The problem is that they get flack for the P being the price that it is, I think that the sub-notebook market is a lot kinder to them because it is more of a standard form factor. The UX wasn't a big seller. The P sells better but the dumb public can't see that the P is more computer than your average NetBook.

yes a i7 in p series would be nice, but even though the mainboard can be miniaturized, the issue is probably getting batteries that can go the distance to fit in a p series. Plus as you know there would be substantial heat dissipation issues from the i7 being in such a small enclosure.

For me the ux formfactor is pretty impressive, albeit the really hard to use hardware keyboard and is classed more a pda rather than a ultra small notebook, hence you can use the ux while walking for instance. It would not be all that comfortable to use a p series while walking.

bigs

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 00:38

I don't think the heat would be a problem, the same cooling system that is in the Z is very small. I don't think walking with the P is that bad although not as good as the UX. I would be happy with anything small and fast.

brooknice

Postby brooknice » Fri Sep 17, 2010 20:26

lexusis250 wrote:I did the test heres the result on my w100

As for the external vga output i bought a usb to HDMI adapter. You can also get a usb to NIC adapter.

Which usb to hdmi adaptor did you get for the toshiba libretto and how does it work what resolution can you get out of it.
UX280P 256gbssd Photo Fast window XP
Sennheiser MM450 Bluetooth headphone
Palm Bluetooth key board
The Kensington SlimBlade bluetooth mouse
Sony 32 GB Memory Stick PRO-HG HX
Two Sony 8 GB Memory Stick PRO Duo

pierrechoong

Postby pierrechoong » Tue Sep 21, 2010 03:51

Hey guys,

I have got the Japanese version which comes with Wimax. Just wanna check with you guys. The Wimax provider in my home country(Malaysia) states that its incompatible with the Japanese due to some crap reason. Is there such a thing? I tot that its like wifi n compatible worldwide.

Please advise.

Thanks a bunch

ranipritipatel

Postby ranipritipatel » Wed May 09, 2012 13:31

I think this not much useful

sabot

Postby sabot » Tue May 15, 2012 00:13

Hello everyone, first post and all that. Been lurking here for ever.

I am surprised no one has considered the modding of Libretto.
The main difference between Vaio UX is that Libretto [color="Red"]u5400 processor uses the BGA 1288 socket[/color]. It's the same socket as top-of-the-line mobile i7 use. It could theoretically use a 35W TDP i7 like 640M, although without a cooling mod this would burn your fingers to ash. It should run low-power 25W or ultra-low-power 18W processors just sweet.

Also, the unit has 8 ram modules, four on each side, allowing for theoretical 8 GB of memory. If replacement modules could be found, as I remember the problems with UX.

I also wonder about the internal connectivity of this thing, it's bound to have something since the Japanese version was Wimax enabled. If it has a mini pcie connector of some sorts on board, it might be possible to hook it up to an eGPU, making this little devil a complete overkill.

I've found some photos of the motherboard, I can post them here if anyone is interested.

EDIT:
Just to confirm, Libretto has an onboard [color="Red"]standard mini pcie card expansion slot[/color], presumably for the Wimax module, but other hardware may be possible.

Return to “Competitors”