Oqo 03?

Talk about other handheld devices that compete with the micro PC.
diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Sat Nov 19, 2011 22:02

ArchiMark wrote:....think the OQO's keyboard is excellent and display is very nice too...

From experience having owned both a Model 02 and still owning a UX280P, I have found that the UX keyboard is more comfortable for typing since the OQO keyboard lends to cramping of the hands in less than 1/4 the time.

The major advantage of the OQO design is its more compact body with 0.5-inches of more screen but at a lower res and (at the time) a lower powered system overall (with painfully poor graphics performance in comparison), I preferred the UX.

I really am sorry they have gone because they were going in the right direction and I think by now they would have perfected it if they were still around under Jory Bell. There is now no product on the market still in production that comes close to a 'today's equivalent' of the OQO and certainly nothing close to the UX.

This recession as I have mentioned has certainly also been a recession on creativity.

My $0.02,
diJenerate

ArchiMark

Postby ArchiMark » Sat Nov 19, 2011 23:40

diJenerate wrote:From experience having owned both a Model 02 and still owning a UX280P, I have found that the UX keyboard is more comfortable for typing since the OQO keyboard lends to cramping of the hands in less than 1/4 the time.

{snip...}

My $0.02,
diJenerate

Having both a 02 and 2+ plus a UX490N, it's very surprising to me that you think the UX keyboard is more comfortable....I'm curious why you think so as the UX keyboard with its flat and flush keys are much harder to use than the nice rounded top OQO keys that are slightly space apart...at least for me...

I find my hands get tired with UX keyboard trying to make sure that I'm pressing the key enough and that it's the right key to press too...my typing speed and accuracy is much better on the OQO.

You're certainly entitled to prefer the UX, just surprised at your preference...

To be clear I enjoy the UX's performance but think the OQO 02 is a better hardware design for such a small footprint computer. For me, would be great if my modded UX490N was stuffed into the OQO case....but that's just me.... :)
Silicon Valley Digerati
Current: Sony VAIO P (Gen II/2.13GHz)/Toshiba Libretto U100/NewPad Q20/iWatch Pocket PC/Pandora 1GHz/Nokia N900

Prev: Dell Mini9/M1/P1610/Shift/U810/OQO E2/UX90S/Kohji SH6 & Many More...

bigs

Postby bigs » Sat Nov 19, 2011 23:50

with regards to that high price tag, one would expect at least a dual core atom running inside to make it really worthwhile. 10 hour battery life is good, but I would rather have the likes of say 6 hour battery life and a dual core atom. That way we would not require the guts of a UX to be transplanted into the oqo v3.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

ArchiMark

Postby ArchiMark » Sun Nov 20, 2011 01:17

That would be nice, bigs.....
Silicon Valley Digerati
Current: Sony VAIO P (Gen II/2.13GHz)/Toshiba Libretto U100/NewPad Q20/iWatch Pocket PC/Pandora 1GHz/Nokia N900

diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Sun Nov 20, 2011 21:24

ArchiMark wrote:....I'm curious why you think so as the UX keyboard with its flat and flush keys are much harder to use than the nice rounded top OQO keys that are slightly space apart...at least for me...

I find my hands get tired with UX keyboard trying to make sure that I'm pressing the key enough and that it's the right key to press too...my typing speed and accuracy is much better on the OQO.

You're certainly entitled to prefer the UX, just surprised at your preference...

What I found was that while the keys on the OQO are easier to find (more defined) with practice I was able to type just fine on the UX but from a comfort perspective, I found the curved shape of the UX chassis lent itself to comfortable typing over a longer period of time than the OQO's flat chassis as I eventually felt muscle pain in the middle of the hands with the OQO and would have to change hand position while there was no such discomfort with the UX.

That said, yes I agree with the more compact form factor being more desirable over that of the UX.

ArchiMark

Postby ArchiMark » Mon Nov 21, 2011 01:00

diJenerate wrote:What I found was that while the keys on the OQO are easier to find (more defined) with practice I was able to type just fine on the UX but from a comfort perspective, I found the curved shape of the UX chassis lent itself to comfortable typing over a longer period of time than the OQO's flat chassis as I eventually felt muscle pain in the middle of the hands with the OQO and would have to change hand position while there was no such discomfort with the UX.

That said, yes I agree with the more compact form factor being more desirable over that of the UX.

Thanks for clarifying....now I can understand your concerns about the two designs....
Silicon Valley Digerati

bigs

Postby bigs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 18:43

diJenerate wrote:What I found was that while the keys on the OQO are easier to find (more defined) with practice I was able to type just fine on the UX but from a comfort perspective, I found the curved shape of the UX chassis lent itself to comfortable typing over a longer period of time than the OQO's flat chassis as I eventually felt muscle pain in the middle of the hands with the OQO and would have to change hand position while there was no such discomfort with the UX.

Depending on the model of the UX would give a different keyboard response. From my experience the older ux17 or 280p keyboards and earlier that were silver were terrible to type on. They were so bad, I literally resorted to using foldaway bluetooth keyboards for any serious typing. I found the evolved 380N keyboard, still silver to be much more plesant having chamferred keys. I then migrated to a 390N black keyboard. Although chamferred, I found the keys were slightly more depressed than the 380N keys. Maybe a manufaturing tolderence, who knows. Currently I am using a ux37gn blue keyboard, which not only the UX a bit more style but also has the same chamferred keys as the 390N but not recesed as deep. The result, a much nicer typing experience. Infact this message was types on this ux keyboard in under 3 minutes ;)

to really compare, one must have both the latest ux and a oqo to compare, as the older gen 280p and below keyboards on the ux were no where as good as the later gen chamfered ones
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

ArchiMark

Postby ArchiMark » Tue Nov 22, 2011 15:38

bigs wrote:Depending on the model of the UX would give a different keyboard response. From my experience the older ux17 or 280p keyboards and earlier that were silver were terrible to type on. They were so bad, I literally resorted to using foldaway bluetooth keyboards for any serious typing. I found the evolved 380N keyboard, still silver to be much more plesant having chamferred keys. I then migrated to a 390N black keyboard. Although chamferred, I found the keys were slightly more depressed than the 380N keys. Maybe a manufaturing tolderence, who knows. Currently I am using a ux37gn blue keyboard, which not only the UX a bit more style but also has the same chamferred keys as the 390N but not recesed as deep. The result, a much nicer typing experience. Infact this message was types on this ux keyboard in under 3 minutes ;)

to really compare, one must have both the latest ux and a oqo to compare, as the older gen 280p and below keyboards on the ux were no where as good as the later gen chamfered ones

FWIW, I have a 490N, so, that should be the latest keyboard design, right? and both a OQO 02 and 2+ .....my 490N has very flat and flush keys...hence my preference for the raised and round and nicely spaced OQO keys....not saying that I can't thumbtype on 490N, just that it's not as good as OQO due to design...
Silicon Valley Digerati

bigs

Postby bigs » Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:55

Not sure if it is manufacturing tolerances or not, but i found the blue keyboard keys actually protrudes a fraction of a mm above the keyboard bezel. This seems to make alot of difference for typing compared to my black housing keyboard which sits flush, both keyboards sports the latest chamferred keyboard design.

Return to “Competitors”