What's everyone been up to these days ?

Talk about other handheld devices that compete with the micro PC.
Lekky

What's everyone been up to these days ?

Postby Lekky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 03:03

Hi all, it's been a while since I checked on this forum.
Just wondering what are the old timers up to these days with their new gadgets?

The last time I used my UX57GN was about 4 years ago right after Anh upgraded mine and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since, still looks brand new :)

Since then I've gone from the UX to HP Slate500, viliv N2, Fujitsu T580, Sony Vaio Duo11.
But I think the most exciting device for me currently is the Dell Venue 8 Pro, probably the closest thing to the good old UX unfortunately have to wait till it is available in Oz.

Thought I'd drop by and say hello and see what new toys people are using nowadays.

bigs

Postby bigs » Mon Nov 04, 2013 03:56

Hi, we are still here :) Believe it or not my main device is still the Anh Modified UX with 64Gb Samsung SSD.

Why am I still using it, you may, ask. Well it is still a good powerful PC in my pocket! The key is not to use Windows but rather Linux, particularly the Ubuntu variety. Not only does just about all hardware features work on it, but also the battery lasts longer, and the memory use is super efficient. Combine this with ZRAM which allows RAM compression, I can literally have over a dozen tabs open surfing, while chatting and skyping and running Office 2007 at the same time.

The instant on/off standby works a treat, and for those afraid of battery drain in standby, you can set a time delay before it hibernates to the SSD which uses minimal power for the clock.

On the side though, I do have a Samsung Ativ Pro Smart PC tablet which does my serious Windows 8 Pro computing.

Your Dell Venue 8 pro does look like a nice device, but it runs an Atom CPU, quad core or not, I have never been a fan of atom's performance for Photoshop, etc.

I am actually typing this post on my Ubuntu UX right now. I have 3 docking cradles, one for travel, and the other two at work and home, both with external screens, keyboard and mouse.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

Lekky

Postby Lekky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 09:09

Wow bigs, it's so good to see a die hard UX user, I have a feeling this forum will continue for a long time while you're still on board :D

Love the UX, but my poor eyesight are failing me so a minimum of 8" device with pinch and zoom is a must for me unfortunately :(

From what I've heard about the new Bay Trial Atom, most people are quite surprised of how good it performs compare to the past Atoms so I'm really looking forward to gat my hands on one of those.

Keep up the good work, I still think Sony is one of the most innovative companies around but just lacking a bit in the marketing department.

bigs

Postby bigs » Mon Nov 04, 2013 20:11

Agree using a 4.5" screen for prolonged periods can give quite an eye strain, that is probably why I use mine in a dock most of the time. The 4.5" screen gets used only when on transit between locations, say a coffee shop, or when travelling.

Will have to see what these new quad core atoms are like for performance. If it is substantially quicker than a quad core Snapdragon mobile phone CPU, I would be quite keen to get one. Only thing is the battery is not removable. Call me old school, but I still like the idea of being able to swap out batteries when they run out of juice. Also I like being able to recell my own batteries. which means, the design life of the overall produce can be extended. To me all these built in battery devices are designed to be used for a few years and throw away.

Lekky, what CPU did you get Anh to transplant. I hope you got the u7700 1.3Ghz CPU, as it is by far the most capable CPU in the sense that it is the only dual core CPU model to have 3 speed steps, as opposed to 2 in other variants. Also for power saving, undervolting responds very well on the u7700, with the ability to lock off the top frequency for further power savings.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 07:11

Ive moved onto a acer w700 tablet, my eyes were getting too old for the UX but surely do miss it

bigs

Postby bigs » Thu Nov 14, 2013 20:51

sad sad. we lost another to a tablet!

Whe n I need to do alot of reading on my Ux I use either the magnifier, or real time zoom feature. the use the thumbstick and middle click on the left to scroll through text. Works quite nicely.

Long live the UX! Even now on ebay the Ux sales are getting scarce, suspect this gadget is quickly approaching rare status!

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Fri Nov 29, 2013 18:31

Still lurking here & there. I've got my UX- just don't use it much. When I needed a portable media player for my toddler, I ended up with the UX's cousin-twice removed :) . It's a Toshiba R500 ulta-thin laptop - similar to the Sony TZ, with one difference- is has a sata I controller so I added a cheap Sammy 128GB uSata ssd. Also has a built in DVD drive.
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 00:35

Lots of familiar faces here, hope you are all doing well : ).

My UX180 is still in commission!: http://www.umpcportal.com/2012/10/how-to-turn-your-umpc-into-a-diy-airplay-receiver/

It connects to my stereo to function as an airplay receiver for my iPhone 5S. I love being able to effortlessly sling tunes over to it while I cook, host friends, etc. I also have Spotify on it and a Spotify remote app on my iPhone which means I have access to tons of music. And any app can use AirPlay so I can stream music from SoundCloud (which I used often to follow indie artists), Bandcamp, or even YouTube if someone has a request which I can't find through any of the other sources.

My latest gadget acquisition is the Oculus Rift VR headset and Google Glass smartglasses. I've been blogging about virtual and augmented reality for the last few years here: http://www.RoadtoVR.com.

Happy holidays everyone!
Sony VAIO UX180 | Asus UX31E Ultrabook | iPhone 5S | Google Glass

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com

bigs

Postby bigs » Mon Dec 09, 2013 22:16

good to see Benz145 that it is still put to good use.

I think I am the only UX user that still uses it as a main work machine. :)

Return to “Competitors”