Suggest a Smartphone, seeking advice.

Discuss anything non-micro PC related.
rblanco

Suggest a Smartphone, seeking advice.

Postby rblanco » Tue Apr 01, 2008 02:34

Hello Everybody,

I am looking to purchase a new cell phone and I would like to purchase an unlocked SmartPhone but I cannot make a decision.

I would like for the Smartphone to have Wifi and Podcatching, Digital Camera for Pics and Movies, GPS, internet tethering capabilities, and a Multimedia powerhouse.

The current Apple iPhone suits me for its GUI and multimedia but IMO is crippled lacking: a Digital Camera with no Movie capturing capabilities, no removable user replaceable battery, no internet tethering (lack of 3G,) no bluetooth headset streaming capabilities, no internet radio streaming capabilities, no document viewing or editing programs.

So I have narrowed down my selection to the Nokia N95 8GB or the HTC TyTn II.

Any Nokia N95 8GB owners here? How is the Podcatching capabilities? I am concerned about the lower 200MHz+ arm processor, is it powerful enough for podcatching over Wifi?
The lack of camera lense cover, the short battery longevity, and the fingerprint magnet surface doesn't concern me about the Nokia N95 8GB.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

jacen777dye

Postby jacen777dye » Tue Apr 01, 2008 04:33

I have owned both with att and I would go for the TYTN II

If you favor windows mobile thats fine but also theres nothing a windows mobile phone cant do. you can always download a program for what you need.

the N95 is a internet/multimedia phone.

Id always pick windows mobile
M17X

Dual core C2D Extreme 2.8GHZ
8 gb of ram
Dual 128 SSD
Dual GeForce 8800M GTX
1900x1200p Glossy Display.
1GB of Intel Turbo Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate
Red AlienFX
Klipsch/yamaha surround sound.

2 12' Klipsch subs

thetruth1983

Postby thetruth1983 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 06:28

I would go for the N 95. It takes better pics and movies than most phones on the market. If you go for the first model, you would get the lens cover as well as the removable memory. Write times on the 8gb model are very slow.

rblanco

Postby rblanco » Tue Apr 01, 2008 13:21

thetruth1983 wrote:If you go for the first model, you would get the lens cover as well as the removable memory. Write times on the 8gb model are very slow.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a nice write-up on the big differences between the N95-1 and the current N95 8GB version http://www.nokiausers.net/Nokia-N95/Ten-Reasons-for-Old-School-N95-users-to-upgrade-to-the-N95-8GB.html

The no lens cover issue doesn't concern me.

I have also read about the slow write times on the 8gb model, but that is through the usb wired transfer mode, the N95 8gb should also have a wireless uPnP transfer mode (which I like) but I haven't been able to find any reviews talking about the transfer times either.

Can anybody vouch for the Nokia Podcasting Application how effective is it?

I also like the 5MP Digital Camera for Pix and Movies, and the GPS capabilities. I know that with a Windows Mobile device I can add on more functionality like uPnP and other features but I cannot upgrade to a 5MP camera like the Nokia N95 8gb.

Still looking around for a smartphone, suggestions?

THANKS!

chimpusmaximus

Postby chimpusmaximus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 13:29

Hi

i'v replied to your pm and having read this post as well i think you would be best with the nokia. The tytn II is very good but for what you have listed the n95 would fit better.

If you can have a play with both first you made change your mind. Symbin and Windows Mobile i find very different and you may find you can get on more with one than the other.

N95 8GB

Pro's:-
Camera
Video
VOIP
Dedicated media buttons
Standard 3.5mm port

Cons:
Battery Life
No keyboard
Needs external GPS for tomtom

Tytn II

Pro's:-
Keyboard
Tomtom works with GPS

Cons:-
Battery Life
Bad VOIP
Non standard audio port

chimpusmaximus

Postby chimpusmaximus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 13:30

Not used the pod cast much but on the e61i and n95 8gb it has worked fine.

david888

Postby david888 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:58

i would say TYTN II due to the huge group of Windows Mobile developers who have lots of software application, ideas, and support. You can easily get answer from the internet whenever you have doubt and questions.

ecsw

Postby ecsw » Sat Apr 05, 2008 00:40

I have a n95 with 8GB MicroSDHC. I had Windows mobile phone before (6515), and I can't stand it. For making phone calls, it felt like using a computer to make a simple phone call. Smartphone is much easier for doing so.

For all the phone I have, N95 gave me the best video experience ever on any phone I have ever had not to mention the capability to put the video on TV. It's never lags on videos that I converted to 3gp at 320x240 not like my 6515 converted wma file using Microsoft Media encoder 9.0 which still lags from time to time while the resolution is under 320x240. MP3 playing is much easier on N95.

If you need anything serious, just use your ux. for anything that's simple, N95 does the job no problem.

For GPS, I found a $150~$199 dedicated GPS unit is much easier to use than any of the software this BT GPS that on PDA or phone ever. So I would leave the GPS seperated.

There are more and more phones are on Microsoft PDA phone or Smartphone. But Sybian is taking a big share due to Nokia and you can find lots of programs for S60 too. ;)

rblanco

Postby rblanco » Sat Apr 05, 2008 03:12

Thanks for the responses, some quick questions ...

It's never lags on videos that I converted to 3gp at 320x240

Do you use "CorePlayer" on your N95? I know the in-built camera captures at 30 fps. Can the N95 playback DIVX or XVID videos at a higher resolution and 30 fps effectively?

If you need anything serious, just use your ux. for anything that's simple, N95 does the job no problem.

I know that the N95 comes with QuickOffice, if I upgrade to the Premier edition to be able to Edit Documents is it a viable editor if paired with a Bluetooth keyboard? Is the N95 and a bluetooth keyboard like the iGo (former ThinkOutside) bluetooth keyboard pairable? Or is the Quickoffice Premier application laggy on the N95? Anybody?

For GPS, I found a $150~$199 dedicated GPS unit is much easier to use than any of the software this BT GPS that on PDA or phone ever. So I would leave the GPS seperated.

How was the N95 as a GPS navigator? Did you upgrade to the newest software version? Can you load TomTom Navigator and use an external bluetooth GPS, is this more effective than the Nokia and built in GPS?

Thanks Everybody!

sev7en

Postby sev7en » Thu Jul 03, 2008 19:23

The N95 can work smoothly with the internal GPS too (yes TomTom doesn't need an external GPS). If you need more information, drop me a PM :p
[color="Red"]Sony VAIO VGN-UX91S - 03.04.07[/color]
[color="Orange"] OS - Windows 7 Build 7000 || iPC OSX Leopard Uni 10.5.6 || Project Fedora 10 [/color]
[color="White"]MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz ||
Nokia N93 || HTC TouchHD [/color]
--------
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Full Guide: Sony Vaio UX MacOS X Installation Guide & HowTo
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: Sony Vaio Series,Apple and...Cartoons Wallpapers!
[color="DarkRed"]|||[/color] Repo: "The Essential" For Any Mac User

Return to “Off Topic”